08 October 2009

Wacky Visitors

Some time ago, I published a column of actual questions that my wife & I had been asked by tourists in Anchorage.

Dave Kiffer, a freelance writer in Ketchikan, published his list of all comments weird and wonderful from 2009.

Here are some choice excerpts:
First off, I had a hiking enthusiast contact me about going up the Deer Mountain trail. He was particularly concerned about how long it would take.

"What time does the mountain close?" he asked.

Another time there was a new explanation for salmon behavior at the mouth of Ketchikan creek.

"The water is shallower there and warmer," a woman was heard explaining to her friend. "That's why they jump so much. They're trying to cool off."

Naturally, a different visitor asked someone at the KVB "what time do the salmon go up the creek?"

And, of course, there were the usual questions about the times of the "whale shows" in the harbor.

Folks just hate to miss those wildlife shows!

~ snip ~

Overall, there were quite a few questions about the former Governor. During one discussion, someone said they would have been happy to vote 100 times for Sarah Palin to which a European visitor sagely replied "you can't do that, unless you live in Chicago."


Read, as they say, the whole thing here.

3 comments:

Meadow said...

Tourists! Bless them :)

Graumagus said...

Only if you're from Chicago, and deceased :)

Joanie said...

And this is why they're called "tourons". Ah, yes. I made sure I wasn't one on my trip...I did my best to prove that some visitors to your fair state actually have brains.

Da Goddess