07 September 2010

Tuesday, Gunny News, Plus Glenn Beck UPDATED

I'm a happy camper this morning. No, it's not the weather. That's a mess this a.m.: rain, clouds, and they say we'll have winds at 10 to 20 mph ere long.

I'm happy because I just picked up 250± rounds of .45 ACP for $20. It's mostly unjacketed 200-grain LSWC, with some hardball rounds, some 200-grain JHP. So what's not to like ... a couple of the cases are heavily corroded, so I'll just toss those. Why take chances?

* * * * *

The local news has more about lucky people on the wrong end of firearms discharges:
I also want to mention that families of three missing Katmai National Park employees are offering a $65,000 reward to find their plane in southwest Alaska. The three and the pilot disappeared Aug. 21 in the de Havilland Beaver on a one-hour flight from Swikshak Lagoon in Katmai National Park to King Salmon.

* * * * *

On another note, I have been told that an Arizona pastor (he may have company, but is the only one I've heard about) went on a tirade Sunday about how Glenn Beck is not a Christian, and how his message about national repentance and turning back to God isn't therefore valid.

He also asserted that the Christian leaders and pastors who appeared at the D.C. rally with Beck have lost a lot of their credibility by virtue of having appeared with him.

Really?

For the record, here's what I think: Beck's Mormonism in no way reduces the importance of the message that he has been pushing. Beck says he has accepted Jesus, so who am I to judge?

After all, God used Balaam's donkey to deliver a message; He can use a Mormon (or a Catholic, Methodist, agnostic, or anyone else) if He wants to. It's certain that neither the donkey nor anyone else in the Old Testament was a Christian, since Jesus hadn't been crucified yet. All the Old Testament prophets and leaders like Moses are held up to us as examples of Godly men and women, yet they were "unsaved" by New Testament standards. Does that reduce the impact of their message to us?

The pastor is entitled to his opinion, and may have good reasons for what he thinks. Just the same, I'd tread carefully here, because I don't want to be in the position of telling God who He can and cannot use.

Having said that, please understand that I'm expressing my personal opinion here, and nothing else.

* * * * *

Two more bits of news that probably won't make the national press:

  • Norm Olson, formerly of the Michigan Militia, has been named by the Alaska Independence Party as its candidate for Lt. Governor. Aside from the fact that the AIP hasn't put up a viable candidate since Wally Hickel back in '92 or so ... Norm Olson? Really?
  • As of last weekend, 648 wildfires have burned 1.1 million acres of Alaska. You won't see that on the evening news.

Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Well said, I think. The good Lord knows His own better than any of us do.

Now personally, I think the Mormon theology - what I know of it - is kind of nutty, and their take on history is... creative. That said, taken as a whole I've never met a more consistently kind, sweet, helpful people. If one is to judge a community by the fruit of their members.... I daresay the Mormons are - taken as a whole - very much in the model of Christ. Heck of a lot better at it that I am, that's for certain sure. That stuff is hard.


... and I'm well aware if I were a second-century Roman, I'd probably be saying very much the same thing about that weird Jewish cult always talking about eating their prophet.

joated said...

Talking to your god is fine by me.

Listening to your god is okay, too, provided you don't break some social laws (murder, rape, theft, etc.) and claim that your god told you to do so. Won't work as a defense, pal.

As for telling your god what he can and can not do, who he can and can not use to deliver his messages.... At the very least that will get you a very nice white coat with long sleeves and maybe a well padded room. Then again, if your god has a snese of humor, it might get you a brand new, fully charged lightening bolt.