13 April 2013

About That Quiet Morning I Was Going to Have (UPDATED)

Turns out, not so much.

After visiting the optometrist (an eye-opening experience ... wink, wink), I discovered that I had so much excess energy that I literally couldn't stay seated.

Kept leaping to my feet & pacing the living room, so I talked my lovely wife (who's lost 40 pounds now, thankyouverymuch) into a shopping trip.

We went to a big clothing store first, where she found some nice tops to replace those which are WAY too big for her. While she was doing that, I visited the new Sports Authority next door & found picked up a Mini MagLite Pro (LED, 227 lumens, runs on AA batteries) to replace the old-school 2D halogen rig which died.

Then we swung by an Office Max, but never got a chance to park. Older Daughter, on her way out of town for an Appleseed Instructors' meeting, hit something "large and metallic" on the highway. It induced an instant explosive decompression of the left front tire, via a 3" long vertical tear in the sidewall.

She wouldn't have called us except her jack handle was somehow misplaced, and the 4-way lug wrench is no good for opening a scissors jack for a compact car (drive nut too close to the ground). As we pulled into the parking lot where she was stranded, another fellow produced a smallish hydraulic floor jack, so I helped by changing the tire. I know she'd have preferred to do it herself, but I wanted to speed the other gentleman on his way, and Daughter has only done this once before. She observed what I did, and something tells me it's the last time she'll ever "let" me do that for her.

Then I went home, grabbed the air compressor (should have been in my wife's trunk already; my bad) and met them at the garage. Why? Because the temp spare only had 18 psi, instead of the 60 it's supposed to have. Didn't have to say anything to her about it; the look on her face when she saw the temp rim was nearly touching the ground spoke volumes.

Aired it up, and went by Office Max again to buy a wire frame from which to hang folders in the desk. Got home, put it together & will shortly reorganize the files.

I recently purchased a Teton Explorer4000 backpack, so then I moved everything from my "get home" bag in the car to that pack & put everything away again.

Now I'll organize & alphabetically label to file folders. Why I am I telling you all this? That's easy: I needed a short break, and sitting to type this gave me the breather I wanted.  (grin)

Then Doctor Who will be on at 1600 hrs, so I hope to have an enjoyable afternoon, with a just bit less stress.

UPDATE: And ... as I  hit "enter" to send the post while ago, my cell phone rang. "Honey, can you come pick me up so Daughter can be on her way?" .... Sometimes, all you can do is laugh.  :^)

20 comments:

Stephen said...

It's 1821 and I've just sat for the first time today...me too, tired.

Ajdshootist said...

Rev Paul do you like this Dr Who i have watched all the Doctors from the very first one but i cannot stand this one to me David Tennant was and still is the best Dr ever and
this one to me is one of the worse i tried to watch but i cant stand him.

drjim said...

Busy, busy!

No "idle hands" for you, sir!

Rev. Paul said...

Stephen, understood. It's 1508, and we just got home a few minutes ago. Never did get to those files yet. :)

Ajdshootist, I can just tolerate Mr. Smith. David Tennant was the BEST. DOCTOR. EVER!

drjim, apparently so. Thanks.

drjim said...

I favor Tom Baker.

Cathy said...

OK. That pacing thing. That and the organizing the file business. . . . it's spring fever! Welcome to the affliction :)

Rev. Paul said...

drjim, Baker's a close 2nd to Tennant for me, but I understand. It's a tough call. :)

Cathy, I'm sure that's part of it. Thanks!

Old NFO said...

LOL, busy is good and congrats to the Missus... :-)

Rev. Paul said...

NFO, you're right of course. And I'll pass that to her.

drjim said...

Was Tennant the one in "Reunion" with Sara Jane Smith?

PioneerPreppy said...

I just never could get into Dr. Who. Not sure why.

Hope your rested now though.

Rev. Paul said...

drjim: yes, Tennant was in "School Reunion" in which they brought Sarah Jane back (and spun her off into her own series, until she died 3 years later).

Preppy, understood. But I like you anyway. ;^)

drjim said...

Ah, yes.

He's one of the only "new" Doctor's I cared for.

Rev. Paul said...

Understood. Although I recently watch the '05 reboot season, and found that Chris Ecclestone grows on me. I believe he's underrated, which is a shame.

drjim said...

He was the first of the "new" doctor's, right?

He kind of reminds me of Daniel Craig.

Rev. Paul said...

Yes. I hadn't noticed the resemblance, but I can see it now.

Keads said...

Busy indeed!

Rev. Paul said...

Keads, it's all good, in the end. Made me feel good to be of assistance to my grown daughter; all too often, once they're grown, there's little we can do (they think). :)

Jenny said...

eek!

Oh God, I'm glad she's okay!

And also.. wow. You raised a good one. :)

Rev. Paul said...

Thanks, Jenny. And you're right: one proud Papa, here. :)