21 June 2014

AAR: Rainy Range Trip


Older Daughter and I went to the Birchwood Range, 40 miles north of home, for some early morning practice. Of course it rained buckets all night, rained all the way there, and didn't stop until we were on the way home.

Everything was soggy, but if you wait for perfect weather in Alaska ... you'll be waiting awhile.

I dusted off the old .22 and tried some off-hand shooting, but wasn't paying much attention to my stance until Daughter reminded me about natural point-of-aim (NPOA). I had 2.5" to 3" clusters at 2 and 8 o'clock on the target, which she said meant it was an NPOA issue, and not my peep sights.

Shooting with my elbows on my knees reduced both the wobble and the size of the grouping to about 2". All this was at 25 yards.

She thinks I'm in a good place to begin the Appleseed training, next weekend.

* * * * *

I took the Garand along, but the steady rain convinced me it wasn't worth the chance of rust on that 60-year-old metal.

She took her M-4, with a new scope and cantilever mount, and I helped her move the scope forward until the eye relief was good for her.

Tried shooting it myself, but she's 5'4", and with me at 6'1" the scope was too low, and the telescoping buttstock was too short for me. I could barely get a decent sight picture.  Just the same, out of five shots I managed to put four rounds through two holes. The fifth was a flyer; that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Wasn't the extended visit we'd planned, but it was good to make some noise and send some dollars downrange.

7 comments:

PioneerPreppy said...

Sounds like a fun time and I don't blame ya I wouldn't take an M1 out even if it just looked like it might rain in the next county :)

Rev. Paul said...

It's just not worth the risk of getting the old gal rusty.

Old NFO said...

Trigger time is good! And don't blame ya for leaving the Garand in the case... :-)

Home on the Range said...

We got caught up in chores and I have to leave to go on duty late tonight so no range time this weekend. Glad you got out!

Rev. Paul said...

NFO, I concur: that first whiff of burnt powder made me realize how much I'd missed it.

Brigid, sorry you couldn't do the fun stuff, but chores often get in the way.

Murphy's Law said...

Hey, you still got out with her, so good on ya.

Rev. Paul said...

Agreed, ML - it was a good day. :)