06 October 2014

Sour Cream & Cheddar Halibut

Here's an oldie-but-goodie from the archives:

(click to enlarge)

Younger Daughter, who has been a professional pastry cook for three years, prepared the halibut you see pictured here.








  • 3 pounds of halibut
  • 1/4 lb. butter
  • Parmesan cheese to taste
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 2 16-oz. containers sour cream
  • 4 TB gourmet mustard or white-wine gravy (thick)
  • 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
Grease baking dish with spray Pam and pre-heat over to 350 degrees. Melt butter and stir in Parmesan cheese and lemon. Cut halibut into 1/2" thick portions and roll in butter mixture, then roll oiled halibut in breadcrumbs until coated. Bake in greased dish for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and generously spread sour cream mixed with mustard or gravy on the top and sides of halibut fillet. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Return to oven and bake for an addition 20 minutes or until fillets are done. Sour cream should be slightly browned.

She served the fish with lightly buttered pastina on the side; steamed rice is also good, but use your imagination.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of the presentation, but we were all crowded around the counter, grabbing food. I was afraid that if I stopped for photos, I'd lose out.

Turns out I was right. :)

4 comments:

Home on the Range said...

That looks wonderful! I got so spoiled eating halibut back home that what we get out here in the Midwest is passed by, as too much of a disappointment. When I go out to see Dad, I'm going to make that for him!

Rev. Paul said...

You've just made YD's day, my friend. :)

Sandy Livesay said...

Rev. Paul,

Hubby and I are coming your way for leftovers. That Halibut looks amazing!!!

Thanks for the recipe!!!

Rev. Paul said...

Sandy, the thing about halibut is that the cold-water variant is WAY better than the warm water halibut. But please try; I'll be interested to see/hear/read the results.