31 March 2015

On the Topic of Firearms

A lady I've known for several years came by my office the other day, and saw my holster sticking out from under the tail of my vest as I retrieved papers from the floor.

She got a little pale, and said, "I hope you don't have a gun in that thing. Guns make me nervous."
I tried to keep a straight face while answering that it wouldn't make much sense to wear an empty holster.

So I asked if I make her nervous, and she said no. As gently as possible, I said that the firearm is an inanimate tool, and that it obeys my commands.

While she thought that over, I said, "If I'm trustworthy, then you needn't fear any tool I might use. A hammer or screwdriver, a cordless drill - all could be dangerous, in the wrong hands."

She allowed as how that's true, and then said, "And you were in the military, so I guess it's okay."

I also could have said that with Constitutional carry, quite a large percentage of Alaskans are armed all the time, but I didn't want to provoke a panic attack. :)



Baby steps ... sigh. But at least those steps are in the right direction: I'll take that conversation as one minor victory. At least it made her stop to think about it.

6 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

A dear lady is helping to watch my wife during the day.
She is a liberal.
She did not know until yesterday that Scherie packs a .357 in her purse.
Tres upset.
Well, it's been a few years since Scherie started and that thing never went off by itself.

Rev. Paul said...

I understand, Ed. It's funny how many firearms fail to fire themselves, despite liberals' fears to the contrary.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I was having coffee with some folks from high school days. We were in an Pandara Bakery in the People's Republic of Boulder County. One asked me, "Do you have guns"? When I replied I did, the next question was, " do you have one on your now"? I smiled and replied, "It is called Concealed Carry so folks like you won't get all spooked". Somehow, I don't think my outcome was as positive as yours. (No, I don't carry)

Rev. Paul said...

It still amazes me to think that folks in a western state would fear a firearm. I'll probably never "get it".

DoninSacto said...

I was in a training class that was taught by an undercover LEO. My classmates were social workers. He slipped off his jacket and the Glock was pretty obvious. The SWs all got really nervous. He looked at me and asked if it bothered me. I answered, if you don't plan on waving it around, why would it bother me? It's just a lump of plastic and steel till a finger hooks the bang switch. He smiled.

Rev. Paul said...

Exactly so, friend.