03 March 2015

Sour Cream & Cheddar Halibut

(click to enlarge)

Younger Daughter the Chef prepared this delectable dish for us (she doubled all the amounts shown here).

  • 1.5 pounds of halibut
  • 1/8 lb. butter
  • Parmesan cheese to taste
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 16-oz. container sour cream
  • 2 TB gourmet mustard or white-wine gravy* (thick)
  • 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
Grease baking dish with spray Pam and pre-heat over to 350 degrees. Melt butter and stir in Parmesan cheese and lemon. Cut halibut into 1/2" thick portion and roll in butter mixture, then roll oiled halibut in breadcrumbs until coated. Bake in greased dish for 20 minutes.

Remove from oven and generously spread sour cream mixed with mustard or gravy on the top and sides of halibut fillet. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Return to oven and bake for an addition 20 minutes or until fillet is done. Sour cream should be slightly browned.

She served the fish with lightly buttered pastina on the side; steamed bazmati rice, or any other long-grain wild rice is also good. Use your imagination. :)

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of the presentation, but we were all crowded around the counter, grabbing food. I was afraid that if I stopped for photos, I'd lose out; turns out I was right.


* White-wine gravy recipe:
Original recipe makes 6 cups

  • 5 cups turkey drippings
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, or to taste
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch, or as needed
  • salt to taste

11 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Looks delicious. Miss the seafood; don't trust what we get here in CO.

Rev. Paul said...

It was very good - and I hear you. After living in Alaska, seafood at inland restaurants is always iffy.

Sandy Livesay said...

Rev. Paul,

This halibut looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe, the next time we head into the big "O" city, I'll go to whole foods for halibut and borrow your daughters recipe.

Anonymous said...

You lost me at fish.
Not a big fan of fish or shellfish.
Or turkey.
I know, I'm picky!

gfa

PS - you don't lose me very often!

Rev. Paul said...

You're welcome, Sandy - I hope you like it.

Guffaw, understood. My buddy in Missouri doesn't like fish, either. Halibut doesn't have a fishy flavor until it's been frozen, but the next time we have moose ... or caribou ... or bear, I'll post something for you!

ProudHillbilly said...

I used to be that way. Then I got to eat fish that was fresh and correctly prepared.

ProudHillbilly said...

This got emailed to our retreat head of kitchen...

Rev. Paul said...

I understand, PH. And I don't like everything from the sea, but halibut and salmon are favorites. And I hope your retreat's kitchen folks make it correctly. I have no idea how it will taste with halibut that's been frozen.

juvat said...

It's Lent, gots to have some fish and always looking for a decent recipe. I mean CHEESE! what could go wrong? Unfortunately, I'm kinda locked into frozen. Will give it a try and let you know.

Old NFO said...

Sigh... Fresh fish... :-)

Rev. Paul said...

juvat, fresh cold-water halibut tastes entirely different from the warm-water variety, but go with whatever your favorite is, and see how it goes.

NFO, I know. We're looking forward to the beginning of the fishing season here, too.