20 December 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

So the four of us went out for dinner last night, and then settled into the reclining seats at the nearby IMAX theater for the new Star Wars picture.

Does it live up to all the hype? Yes and no. I'm not sure anything could live up to the metric boatload of hype that's been generated by the Disney takeover of the franchise, and the new director. That said, it's a good, solid story which honors what has gone before, while introducing the next generation of characters.

Were there nerds and geeks in attendance? Well, duh. The showing we attended included Princess Leia, two Jedi knights, a female Han Solo, an Ewok, and a stormtrooper in the audience.  When Han Solo first appears on screen, there was spontaneous applause.

I won't give away any spoilers, except one: I enjoyed a cameo appearance by Edna Mode. If you've seen The Incredibles, you'll know who I mean. After you've seen this new film, you'll smile and realize I'm only half-serious, but you'll still know who I mean. :)

Tearjerker alert: if you're an emotional type, keep a tissue handy during the last third of the movie. And sorry, but that's all you get for now.

If you enjoy the Star Wars saga, especially A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, then you'll enjoy this one, too.

Four and a half stars out of five. Not bad at all.

2 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

I remember years ago leaving the theater after having seen the Hobbit with Scherie and friends.
A large crowd was waiting for the next showing and I turned to my friends and said "I can't believe they all died ".
The look on those people's faces was priceless, especially when they finally got it and started laughing.
I did it again the other night leaving Star Wars.
Same results.

Rev. Paul said...

Ed - I love it! Way to go!