29 January 2016

Is It a Debate When No One Actually Debates?

We continued watching "Bones" on Netflix last night, to avoid the non-stop discussion of the so-called debate, and the televised speechifying.

Barring some historic event or other revelation, we already know who we'll vote for, come November. I'm thankful we don't have to hold our noses this time 'round, like we did in the last two cycles with McSquishy and Mittens.

Of course, last night's Prime-time Stump Speech Special is still the topic of conversation on TV this morning, so the news wasn't on for very long at breakfast. Each candidate or their designated spokesperson claimed a win. They always do, after such an event. And it's almost never true.


We were supposed to get freezing rain overnight, but it didn't happen. What it did do was to rain all afternoon, with water standing on the icy parking lots. Lots of falls, yesterday. But the roads are okay, this morning, at least in town.

I've pretty much run the table on tasks, this week, and don't have much on my plate today. I hope the day goes by quickly, just the same. Fridays tend to be quiet; the tenants are concentrating on wrapping things up and getting their weekend started, so it leaves me with little to do.

But I'm not complaining. I'd rather be a little bored than mediating/mitigating a series of emergencies.

Thanks for stopping by, friends.

11 comments:

ProudHillbilly said...

I don't know why they call them debates - they are basically question and answer sessions.

"Bandalero" and episodes of "Mrs. Fisher's Murder Mysteries" for me last night.

Rev. Paul said...

Agreed, ma'am. Anything but suspect commentary & soundbites.

threecollie said...

I walk through the living room a lot faster these days...it's where the TV with all that hocus pocus running all day and night is. I have this terrible feeling that the press is trying to lead us away from the current leaders, either to keep the suspense going longer so they get better numbers, or to convince us to run a non-starter like the last two times so Madame C can win.

Rev. Paul said...

I think you're right, ma'am. It's disconcerting when you realize you can't trust anything said by anyone. Pray pray pray!

Old NFO said...

Didn't watch... I was doing something productive... :-)

Rev. Paul said...

Yep, proving my point ... not that it was a big stretch to get there. I hope your productive activity was enjoyable. :)

drjim said...

"Bones" is a favorite of my wife's.

Pretty good show, but I prefer "Castle"....

Rev. Paul said...

drjim, we watch Castle too. I prefer Bones; my wife is more into the romance angle on Castle. Six of one ...

drjim said...

I like the interaction between Kate and Castle.

"Captain Reynolds" sure has come a long way!

I probably haven't watched enough episodes of "Bones" to really get into it, but the ones I've seen were pretty good.

My wife has been watching "Blacklist", and that one's pretty good, too.

I really don't spend a lot of time watching TV. I'm generally too busy doing other stuff.

Rev. Paul said...

We like the Blacklist, too - it's finding the time to squeeze in the 40 minutes to watch it that's the trick.

drjim said...

Exactly!

I've just got too many things vying for my limited time.