16 March 2016

News of the Weird, Alaskan Style

Alaska distiller has hopes for salmon vodka

Imagine drinking rather than eating a big lunker salmon.


Toby Foster did and then he made the unusual choice of distilling it into vodka.

"The first three or four times, it was gag city," he said.

In all, it took the Wasilla distiller nearly 50 attempts to perfect the recipe for his new Smoked Salmon Flavored Vodka, now available in liquor stores, bars and restaurants in Alaska and in some locations in the Lower 48. 

Salmon vodka is the costliest and most stressful product that Foster's 8-year-old company, the Alaska Distillery, has produced since its inception, he said.

I haven't tasted it and don't know that I would; I guess I'm just not adventurous enough. Weird? Interesting? Disgusting?

Not for me to decide, but something about it sounds fishy.


Oh, come on - you knew I was going go there, right? Right? So now, let the piscatorial puns prevail!

8 comments:

Peter said...

Your pun has been weighed in the scales and found wanting.

Of course, if he wants to sell his product to religious people, he should be using only Jewish fish. That's where the Psalm-on comes in . . .

;-)

Rev. Paul said...

Yay! Peter wins the interwebz!

Old NFO said...

Oh... (holding nose), a real 'stinker'... :-) And I'll pass!

Rev. Paul said...

Understood, NFO. :)

deb harvey said...

i wonder if it would be good to cook with?

WomanHonorThyself said...

I'll have my salmon with teriyaki! lol HAPPY ST PATTYS DAY !!

Rev. Paul said...

deborah - it might, at that.

WHT - teriyaki salmon on a bed of steamed rice ...mmm. My favorite lunch at a downtown restaurant which has been gone for a few years.

Gordon R. Durand said...

We bought a bottle at the Anchorage Costco back in August '10. Makes a pretty good Bloody Mary.