24 April 2016

Middle-America: a Restorative For Me

Final day at Silver Dollar City: we got there early and enjoyed every minute.

One note... in today's political climate, if you're wearing anything that identifies you as a veteran, someone wil stop you every few minutes to shake your hand and say "Thank you." At 10:00 a.m. when the park officially opens, they raise the flag, recite the pledge of allegiance, and sing the national anthem. They form a color guard of all the veterans, and pick one to carry the flag to the pole. Today, that vet was me.

Another aside: I noted, from the corner of my eye, that the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines immediately formed two ranks. Straight lines, properly dressed, and standing tall. For just that too-brief moment, it was like I was back in uniform again.

Now that it's getting dusty in here, I'd better stop.

5 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

That's good stuff

PioneerPreppy said...

SO how was the traffic on 76?

Rev. Paul said...

Agreed, Ed. Didn't realize how much I missed it until I got here.

Preppy, it's better than it used to be. Now it's only slow in spots, instead of one long jam all the way across town.

Chickenmom said...

That was a wonderful way to start your day! So proud and thankful for all our veterans!

Rev. Paul said...

Thank you, ma'am.