03 May 2010

Weekend with my parents, & a trip to the range/ammo report

I dropped off my parents at Stevens International this morning at 6:00, and it's a beautiful clear, sunny day. The weather guy says we'll get up to 58 today.

* * * * *

Range & ammo report: Friday afternoon when I got home from work, my parents were discussing some random acts of violence that are happening even in their small Ozarks town in southwest Missouri. Dad mentioned that he wished he had a handgun to go with his rifle. Having been an Army sharpshooter during the Korean conflict, he's always kept a rifle close by; he taught me to shoot a rifle on my sixth birthday*.

I showed him my 1911, and the S&W 442 revolver we purchased for my older daughter. My mom entered the discussion, and we talked self-defense, open- vs. concealed-carry, Alaska vs. Missouri laws, and single- vs. double-action pistols. This is not a conversation I'd ever had with both parents before. Cool!

Dad said, "I sure wish I could try shooting one of these." Say no more! The next morning, we were at the range.

He tried the .38 Spcl. first, and quickly discovered that arthritis prevented him from pulling the double-action trigger. He finally managed to do it, but was very uncomfortable, and accuracy was all but nonexistent. The shots were all on the 14" by 20" target at 21 feet, but 4" to 6" from the dot at which he aimed.

I showed him once how the 1911 works (his G.I. days were a LONG time ago), he started using it and immediately shot 1" to 2" from the bulls-eye. He found the single-action pull much easier, and quickly ran through another 25 rounds with similar accuracy. Unfortunately that's all I'd brought, thinking he'd like the smaller pistol more to his liking.

Now he wants a semi-auto pistol. Yay for him!

On a related issue, I grabbed a box of discount .38 ammo I'd picked up some time ago. It is Magnatech brand, and has what appears to be lacquered lead bullets (no jacket). It shot very dirty, and fouled quickly.

To compound matters, 3 of the first 25 rounds failed to fire. I doubt I'll ever buy any of that again.

* * * * *

Younger Daughter outdid herself, and spent nearly the whole weekend cooking.

Friday PM: Stuffed Chicken Breast, Basmati Rice and White Chocolate mousse with raspberry sauce

Saturday Lunch: Asian Marinated Salmon and green beans

Sunday Lunch: Cranberry Chicken with orzo

Sunday Dinner: Beef Wellington with Bernaise sauce and Caesar side salad

Wow.

* * * * *

My dad's health may prevent him from traveling this far again. He refuses to quit trying, though, and we respect him for that.

Thanks for stopping by.


* That was 49 years ago, today. Happy birthday to me, if I say so myself/

5 comments:

Cassie said...

HAPPY Birthday friend!! You're still a young whipper-snapper. So nice that your dad can still visit you. My dad's 88th would have been May 2nd. He passed away over 16 years ago and I still miss him.

Sounds like the daughter treated all like royalty this weekend. I bet grandpa is proud of her too. Once again, Happy Day to you Paul!!

George said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, REV! Good on your parents, about the gun thing! The most important thing for you to know is, you are younger than me! (I'll be 58 in November). My first shooting experience was with a Colt Vest Pocket .25, at about the same age--no eyes, ears, could barely hold it horizontal.

DR said...

Happy Birthday Rev. Paul. May God grant you many more. It is great news that your family was able to come up and visit you and that you got some time with your Dad at the range.

Jenny said...

Cool! Happy birthday!!

Great to hear that a good time was had by all. Lots of nice memories to take out and cherish someday. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Rev Paul. The time at the range with your Dad will always be remembered. God Bless.

Lost my Dad in 03, and some of my best memories was range time. He was a rifleman, and always laughed at my wheel guns. When my son and I can get to the outdoor range I always shoot a clip or two with the M1 Garand in his memory. Gotta go...something in my eyes.

See Ya