21 December 2010

Did I mention it's cold?

It's 3 degrees at my place this morning, with light snow & freezing fog. To make the morning drive just a bit more enjoyable, I discovered that the power cord for my truck's block heater has a broken wire. The lack of pre-heating meant that the defrosting of the windshield took a few miles farther before I could see well.

The swirling snow and fog on the drive turn to ice as it comes in contact with the vehicles, while you drive. Ice forms on the radio antenna, the windows, the headlights. Anything not warmed by the vehicle itself gets coated in a thick, almost gritty ice. On longer drives, you sometimes need to get out & break ice off of the corners of the windows, the mirrors and the antenna.

This picture was taken at 1:40 pm today, showing the frost on the trees. Beautiful!
5 degrees - click to enlarge


I'll need to set up a space heater to heat the wire - and my hands - this afternoon, so I can get the insulation stripped & solder in place. Trying to manipulate small tools & wires with bare fingers in single-digit temps provides rapidly-diminishing results.

We watched the eclipse from indoors, last night, until it disappeared behind the high thin clouds which continued to thicken as the light decreased. When the last sliver of the moon went dark, we could no longer see the disk at all.

Younger Daughter went outside to look at the thing, once we could no longer see it from inside. Speaking of Y.D., she has chosen to establish an on-line presence. Since she outed herself, so to speak, I will mention only that her name is Sam, and you may see her comments here or on Brigid's blog.

That's about all the fun for this a.m. Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

Home on the Range said...

That looks like the parking lot of the hotel I'm in.

Stay warm, and if I don't talk to you between now and then have a very blessed Christmas!

Joe Schmuck said...

Rev, I don't know about you, but I've been happy with this bitter cold as opposed to the howling winds of last week.

Rev. Paul said...

Brigid, please stay safe & know that you are frequently in our thoughts. Merry Christmas to you & all you love.

Joe, cold isn't an issue for me either. -40 windchills are something else altogether.

The Farmer's Wife said...

Alaska and Montana are hand-in-hand for temps and weather conditions! (Not a GREAT thing, but it is what it is, right?)

There's something magical about the thick frost on trees, isn't there?