17 December 2010

What I Believe

I am a follower of Jesus Christ, politically a Conservative first and, these days, something of a distant Republican with more than a dash of Libertarian mixed in for good measure. 

I believe in God, the strength of America, the brilliance of our Founding Fathers, the valor of our military, and the need for Leadership in all forms and on every level. 

I am not an advocate of censorship as I feel everyone on the Far Left has a God-given right to be painfully stupid -- as I have a right to expose said stupidity.

I believe in the rightness of God's instructions to us, and that we will most often screw things up by trying it our way, first.

I am a staunch believer in original intent -- that the founding documents, the U.S. Constitution and the Declaration of Independence should and must be interpreted in the light of what the Founders intended when those documents were first composed.

I staunchly refuse to believe in "living" documents, which would somehow metamorphose over time into an unrecognizable mutant form which bears little or no resemblance to the original.

I believe that the United States of America are the greatest assemblage of talent, intelligence, and Providential blessing ever seen on the earth -- and that that description in no way applies to the Congress of the United States.

I believe in the sovereignty of the People, and of the individual States, and that the general government, based in the District of Columbia, is -- and rightly ought to be -- subservient to the People, and the States.

I believe that there is yet hope for America, although the path may be over unfamiliar and uncomfortable ground.

I believe in the American people: that we are primarily just and fair, and that with God's help we can once more turn this country around and make it a beacon of freedom and hope in a dark world.

3 comments:

The Farmer said...

Well said sir.

joated said...

VERY well said.

I owe you a couple of beers when next we meet.

Call Me Mom said...

Thank you sir. Having been embroiled of late in an e-mail conversation with several relatives and folks that I do not know,(via a mass e-mailing from one very liberal relative)I have been feeling a bit assaulted and less hopeful about the character of our nation.

You have reassured me that my views are not so abhorrent as I have been assured that they are. As the only one on this large list standing up for the conservative point of view, I have been a bit disgruntled at their lack of common sense, even to the point of reviewing my own opinions. It has been refreshing and enheartening to read your post.
Thank you again. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours.