17 January 2011

Frosty Fun

When the forecast includes the phrase "Lows 5 below to 20 below", you have a pretty good chance of it being cold outside. I don't know if it got above zero at my house today ... it was -12 at my building when I fired up the computer at 7 am. At 2:45, we had reached only -2, and it's -1 at 4pm.

I doubt it'll get to 20 below in this part of town, tonight, but I've been wrong before. The good news is, ol' AccuHunch is calling for highs in the 20s, in the next couple of days, with more snow on the way.

We had guys with thermal imaging equipment in the building today, looking for any thin spots in the insulation.  They picked a good day for it. Differences in the outer wall temps ought to be quite obvious at these temps: it was 8 below when they arrived.


The winds are picking up, and the skies are clearing. You wouldn't expect temps this cold when it's cloudy ... you'd be wrong.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Having lived through some of those kind of temps in the Chicago area, I do not envy you one bit. (one day they canceled school because the high was going to be -11 LOL). The Boston area just doesn't get that cold for the most part. It's the ocean currents I think. Although we get a lot more snow.