02 March 2011

Self-Defense Tip: Just Because You’re Shot Doesn’t Mean You’re Dead

Self-Defense Tip: Just Because You’re Shot Doesn’t Mean You’re Dead

I highly recommend reading this post from The Truth About Guns. Excerpt:
There’s a theory going around that people fall to the ground when they’re shot because Hollywood has programmed them to do so. I’m not so sure about that. My research indicates that getting shot hurts like hell. Falling to the ground when you’re hurt is a natural reaction to extreme pain. As is curling up in a little ball and crying like a baby.

If you’re in a gunfight, assuming the fetal position is not really your best option. I would recommend continuing to fight: shoot, move, throw things, attack! I’m not saying it’s easy. I’m not even saying that’s what I would do (and I pray to God I never find out). But it’s important to remember that getting shot isn’t necessarily the end of the world. Don’t go Hollywood, get even!


h/t PolyKahr

1 comment:

Murphy's Law said...

I have always trained to win at all costs. I teach that mindset, too. That means you keep going, even if your motive is the basest one possible.

Some years back, I was involved in a shooting event in the line of duty. Odds weren't in my favor, I was outnumbered two to one, and every witness thought that I was about to be killed. (As did I, looking back.)

When I was interviewed formally and asked what kept me from giving up, I told them straight out: I was going to make sure that both those motherf@#$%rs were coming with me.

We all wound up in the hospital that day, but I'm still here. And I credit that "take 'em with me" mindset for giving me the ability to keep fighting long after I was injured.

Never give up; never surrender. People at home are waiting for you.