24 February 2018

Snow, in Dribbles & Drabs

We haven't had a snowy winter; not like last year. This year's snowfall has been measured in inches, rather than feet. But in the last 48 hours, we've received around 8", with another 3" in tomorrow's forecast.

Apparently, winter has been waiting for us to start harboring secret thoughts of Break-up (Spring to you Lower-48 types) in order to start sending the white stuff.



The new 30" snowthrower makes a very quick job out of light snow. Our driveway is some 270' long, and 1 to 1 1/2 lanes wide. Today's clearing took only 20 minutes.

It has gotten much faster since I discovered that it has an automatic clutch for those six forward speeds, allowing me to shift on the fly instead of stopping, changing gears, and then backing up a few feet.

Why back up? Because when shifting into 3rd gear or higher, the silly thing pops an impressive wheelie, despite the weight of the differential, augers, and chute. It probably looks like I'm playing around with it, from a distance.

Most assuredly I am not. :)

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

If it makes the job easier, wheely or no, that's a plus! :-)

Rev. Paul said...

Can't argue with that, sir. It's a HUGE improvement!

LindaG said...

We have been blessed with rain all day today! I would think around five inches or so; but I am sure the weather people will probably disagree.
I know a lot of Central Louisiana is under a flash flood watch.

Glad you got to use your snow blower!

Rev. Paul said...

If you're happy about the rain, then I'm happy for you. :)