16 November 2018

Friday, 11/16/18: God's Word, and Social Commentary

Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
Psalm 119:18 KJV



Be generous with me and I’ll live a full life; not for a minute will I take my eyes off your road. Open my eyes so I can see what you show me of your miracle-wonders. ... Yes, your sayings on life are what give me delight; I listen to them as to good neighbors!
Psalm 119:18 MSG



Our weather is a thing of beauty today ... not. We've been cool for a number of days, but not frigid. Today, so we're told, a warm moist air mass moves in from the southwest, bringing rain and freezing rain into the area this afternoon and evening. Temps are supposed to be in the mid-30s today, although it's only 21° now. We'd much rather have the white stuff. Oh, well.

If one watches the Anchorage news broadcasts, the stories seem to be dominated by sex crimes, car thefts, bomb threats, murders, hit and run accidents, rampant property theft ... it's appalling to the observer. Those of us living elsewhere can only watch in dismay as the crime wave allowed by a change in Alaska law (see S.B. 91 for details) continues its toll on that city.  There are many factors at play, beyond the scope of my simple observation here. But we are so glad we don't live in the city anymore.

To be honest, it's not as bad as the newscasts make it sound: sensationalism brings ratings and the resultant advertising dollars. "If it bleeds, it leads" and all that. But it's a fact that crime is up in Anchorage, and most blame the permissive change to the sentencing laws (see SB 91, above) which opened the door a bit wider to the criminal element and opiod abusers looking for an easy source of funds. And don't even get me started on the doctors who over-prescribe the opiods in the first place.

The average visitor to Anchorage, and the summer tourists, will likely remain unaffected by the above.

Moving on ...

The winter solstice is only about five weeks away. Today's sunrise is at 9:09 am, and sunset at 4:19 pm. We lose just shy of five minutes of daylight today. And today's total is two-plus hours more daylight than we'll have in another month.

It's the the price we pay for the long summer days when it never gets completely dark in June and July.

And it's worth it. :)

3 comments:

LindaG said...

Thankful that the Lord moved you when He did. You are safe, if put out by the weather, haha. :)

I don't remember anything like what is going on in Anchorage now, back in the late 70s and early 80s. Sad.


At first, I did not like the MSG interpretation of this verse. Still not sure I do; but it is a good verse and I thank God for his patience.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

One of my favorite verses from Psalm 119. Thanks Reverend.

The opiods issues may be the great struggle of our time. Sadly, we seem to be doing nothing.

Rev. Paul said...

Thank you, Linda. And it's okay to not like other translations. :)
Anchorage wasn't anything at all, then, like it is now. Unfortunately, other cities are having much the same problems.

TB, you're welcome. And you're right.