17 January 2019

Another Navy Memory

I'm the administrator for my old ship's Facebook page. The other morning, one of my shipmates asked if I remembered another crewman named Howe (or was it Stowe?).

I remembered the name, but couldn't put a face to him. I find that that happens more and more frequently as the years go by. Oh well.

Anyhoo, he posted a picture of that sailor being sworn in, in a reenlistment ceremony, and asked for help identifying others in the photo.

Could be anytime between late 1973 to 1975. My guess is spring or fall of '74.
Front and center, you see the sailor in question being sworn in by our skipper, Commander John Castano. Behind Capt. Castano*, from left to right, is Ensign Gordon Dickey, HTC** Richard Djerf, and another fellow whose face I remember but whose name I've forgotten.

After cleaning up and enhancing the photo several times, I recognized the guy on the far left edge. See him? The one who looks like he needs a sandwich?

It's me. 

Strangely enough, I don't remember this occasion at all. But I was probably there to provide the appropriate paperwork to the Captain, and then take it back to Ship's Office. And that would explain why the sailor's name sounds familiar.

Funny thing is, I had been wondering on the morning in question if anyone had pictures which included me. Now I know there's at least one. 


* All ships' skippers are called "Captain"; it has nothing to do with their actual rank.

** Hull Technician, Chief Petty Officer

6 comments:

LindaG said...

I know what you mean about memory.
I was always bad at names, but used to be good with faces. Now those escape me sometimes, too.

Did you see the new season of Doctor Who? What did you think of the new doctor and story lines?

Rev. Paul said...

Yes, Linda, I've seen the new season of Doctor Who. Jodie Whittaker shows promise, but both the writing & the plot lines were abominable. Horribly disappointing. And I understand their ratings dropped to about half of what the last season of Matt Smith drew. There's a lesson there for the new showrunner, and we can only HOPE he pays attention to what the fans are saying... before there aren't any.

LindaG said...

I have to admit that I was not happy with a woman, but the writing and plots were even worse, yes.
Here is hoping!

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Heh heh. Nothing better than the pictures we do not remember being taken...

Old NFO said...

LOL, happens to us all. And the Chief DID NOT look happy... Especially since he appears to be wearing a flight jacket which I KNOW he didn't rate.

Rev. Paul said...

TB, I'd like to think that I've had smiled, if I'd seen the camera. Oh well.

NFO, flight jackets were popular among the enlisted ranks on Adak, but at least the NAVSTA was supporting a squadron of P-3s. No such deal on the ship, although we usually sailed with a carrier. But you're right: Dick Djerf is NOT happy. I wish I could remember why.