03 January 2010

Windy Winter's Day

I'm writing this while looking out at a grey, blustery morning. We've had temps in single digits for several days, although it's 13 now, and there is still heavy frost on things which have been undisturbed since Friday.

We scraped the frost off of my wife's car yesterday so she could run a couple of errands. Last night, we used gift cards to visit a local steakhouse, where we had the finest meal - bar none - that we've ever had while dining out in Anchorage. Thanks to the gift cards, the meal itself was paid for, less 85 cents to which I added a nice tip for a professional server. That was the only cost to us, and I think it's safe to say we'll go back there again.

In truth, we'd tried to eat there twice previously, and discovered they keep irregular hours. Some days, they don't open until after 3 p.m. Some days at 1:00, and ... it's frustrating, but we finally gave up trying to have lunch there & decided on dinner instead. Fortunately, as I said it was a fantastic meal.

* * * * *
In Alaska news, I note with approval that Alaska is joining the ranks of states whose AGs intend to pursue legal challenges to the constitutionality of ObamaKare.
* * * * *

Although the sun officially rose a half-hour ago, it's still darkish out there, and the wind is rustling the branches outside my window. While I'd love to get out & do something, January is the most difficult month of the winter for rousting one's self into the dreary cold.

But somewhere there are sunnier climes, and people go about their days in relative comfort. I'll think about those places, and continue contemplating the day.

No comments: