04 March 2010

Thursday Thought: FTF

Each day as I put on or remove my gun belt, I check the magazine in my pistol and the backup mag in its sheath. I always rap firmly against the heel of my hand, to make sure the rounds are seated firmly, so they'll feed properly. Usually, I push the exposed round back & down, just to make doubly sure.

Last night, I found that the first round in the magazine in the pistol - which I'd carried all day - had moved forward about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. It would not have fed properly; I'd have been able to fire only the round in the chamber, followed by an FTF.

Now I'll need to check it periodically throughout the day until I can determine whether the mag has gone bad, or if it was a fluke. I've practiced with partially filled mags, to require changing at different intervals, but ... wow. One shot? I'll need to change my practice routine to include that possibility.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but check 'em, guys and gals. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's good to know you'll get that next shot. But be prepared for failure after the first round; if it happened to me, it can happen to you.

I'm just sayin'.

Update:
I think the mag spring is weak. The mag is only 15 months old, and used one out of four weeks on a regular rotation. A second mag of the same brand & purchase date has no spring issues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rotate mags more often? Empty mags at night? Have plenty of spare mags? I have at least 20 mags for each weapon, including the 22's. I know I'm odd, but once they are purchased you have them for ever. Just a thought?

See Ya.