17 May 2010

5/17/10: Ammo, Taxes, and Weather

Mr. AccuHunch says we'll have fair skies & climb close to 60 degrees today, without the chilly winds that have kept the temps below normal for the last week. I don't think anyone in Anchorage wants him to be wrong.

* * * * *

Look what I found at Sportsman's Warehouse. It's the first .45 ACP I've seen* in Anchorage since Feb. 2009.

* * * * *

I've alluded to my interim career as a commercial property manager, while on sabbatical from the church.

Today I was alerted to yet another tax being considered by our Congress-critters. They propose to double the tax on "carried interest", which is a tax on the profits of a partnership ... such as the group that owns the medical plaza I manage.

Such a tax will inhibit development, as well as revenue generation - because, like any new tax on real estate, it will tend to reduce the number of transactions.

Like most taxes considered by the D.C. crowd, it's a really bad idea.



*That doesn't include the tiny, over-priced palm-sized boxes of "self-defense" ammo at $2/bullet. Pah.

4 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Before I left on my trip the mailman rang the doorbell. He was holding a VERY heavy box o'brass, and had four others. I get comments from the delivery people sometimes "what is IN this". This fellow knew. He said, "what are you reloading. . I do 9 mm". I told him .40, .45 and .223. But what struck me was his comment when he said goodbye "you'd be AMAZED how much brass has been moving through the mail in the last year.

Glad you found some.

joated said...

I'm surprised there were six boxes left when you departed.

Rev. Paul said...

Brigid - your mailman's tale doesn't surprise me. I've been able to keep my supply topped off with periodic shipments from a shop down south in MO. It was still nice to see some locally, for a change.

Joated - you'll notice I didn't say how many I took ...

DR said...

Well, why not add some more taxes; they have already crippled the economy. It's ridiculous, I swear they won't give up until no one has a job. Because of our ridculous tax increase here in Wisconsin on corporations who are headquartered here with operations outside of the state, we could be looking at losing Harley Davidson and Kohl's.