14 October 2010

Thursday Afternoon Ramble

This morning's temperature was 16 degrees, and there was some frost - but not too much. We're experiencing our annual round of various automotive door latches that release but won't latch when closed (car) ... or won't open at all (truck tailgate). The cans of WD-40 and lithium grease are getting a workout, and all things will calm down. Eventually. It looks like I may have to try removing the interior panel from the tailgate, to get access to the latch linkage & mechanism.

The fun just never ends. *grins*

The afternoon temp has rocketed ... rocketed, I say ... up to 36, although it will probably climb another couple of degrees by dinnertime.

We'll take the car to be re-shod with its winter tires tomorrow, but I will not be waiting for it, this time. We'll just pick it up again, after work ... as I should have done yesterday. Live and learn. It never took that long before, but I don't do "hostage", so I won't give them the chance to keep me there again.

A couple of readers have been e-mailing suggestions for the lady who had the close call with grizzlies, last weekend. I forwarded all the remarks to her ... just so you know. :)

It's a sunny afternoon, if cool, and I'm planning some recoil therapy on Saturday. Guess I'll get my rifle down & make sure it's ready for the exercise.  Y'all have a great afternoon/evening!

4 comments:

joated said...

Just remember that WD-40 is NOT actually a lubricant. That "WD" stands for "water displacement" and it does a real good job of that. Long lasting lubricant? Not so much. That's why you should use that white lithium grease in your other hand.

Oh, and check the bolts on that tailgate latch, too. With all those bumpy roads up there, they might have rattled loose or even gone missing.

Rev. Paul said...

Joated, IF I can get the tailget open, I'll check everything that can be tightened. And the WD-40 is a teflon-based lubricant as well; I use it to loosen corroded or sticky parts. The lithium grease goes on afterward.

ajdshootist said...

Also try getting a Battery Powered
lock De-icer.

Rev. Paul said...

@ajdshootist - the lock isn't frozen, and operates correctly. On both vehicles, it's the latch mechanism in the door - one refuses to engage, and the other refuses to release.

My job is to convince them to strike a happy medium. :)