16 December 2010

A Question for My Gunnie Readers

A little birdie has told me I'm to receive brand spankin' Crimson Trace grips for my 1911A1 clone. Said clone has an ambi safety, which this lefty shooter appreciates a great deal.

The fine print on Crimson Trace's website says the ambi safety needs to be shortened on the right-hand side, to clear the laser housing. They also sell such safety for $60.



Question: is this a part that I can replace on my own? (I've changed only easily-accessible parts like recoil springs, in the past.)  Or do I seek a reputable smith to get this done?

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Yes - thumb safety is about the easiest part to swap out period. Heck, you could prolly just dremel and cold blue the right side safety you have now if you don't mind being a little bubba. :)

Rev. Paul said...

I was wanting one more reason to buy a new Dremel tool. Srsly, I've seen pics of safeties done that way, and was considering it, too. Should've just gone ahead & done it.

The Farmer said...

I'm gonna agree with Jenny on this one. At least the part about changing it out. Plus if you do muck up your safety with the dremel, you an have your selection of about a 1000 safeties from brownells to replace it with. No harm, No foul.

Jenny said...

If you like I'll come by sometime and we can look at it. :)

Personally, I'd avoid the issue entirely by going the "left side only" route, because that way there's no split pin inside waiting to become re-split again at the worst possible moment.

But if you use it left handed, I can see as they might not be an option.

Rev. Paul said...

Farmer: thanks. I'll keep it in mind. I know a lot of folks had issues with early editions of this model & swapped the safeties for other brands, but mine's never presented a problem.

Jenny: sweeping the safety off with my left-thumb-on-right-side-of-safety is such an ingrained part of my grip that I'd struggle with changing it. I had a Dremel tool before moving here, but never replaced for some reason. This is a good reason to get another one.

Curmudgeon said...

The thumb safety does need some fitting... usually with a small file to take down the extra material.. if you're not familiar with it you can look on forum.m1911.org but because its the safety I'd have someone who knows what he's doing to do the replacement...