07 December 2011

December 7: Remembering Pearl Harbor

Last year, I toured Pearl Harbor, and had the great honor to meet two survivors of the USS Arizona. Humble gentlemen, both of them.

I wrote this about that day:

We toured Pearl Harbor, the USS Arizona Memorial, and the Punchbowl National Cemetery today. I promised myself I wouldn't cry.


I was wrong.

They have a regular table set up, outside the bookstore on the shore, where survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack sign bio sheets, or if you prefer, autograph any souvenir books and photos you've purchased. I was fortunate enough to meet two of those brave gentlemen today, both crew members of the USS Arizona, who were ashore when the attack happened, and therefore survived. I have to admit my hand was shaking a little when I shook their hands.


Standing on the shore, looking at the Arizona Memorial - where the war began - and the USS Missouri anchored nearby - on which the war with Japan formally ended - was nearly overwhelming. I know Younger Daughter thinks I'm a sappy guy, but seeing all that just brought back all my Navy memories, and stories I heard from the old hands at the time ... it was just too much. There was an autographed picture of Gen. McArthur accepting the Japanese surrender on the Missouri, hanging on the bulkhead in the officers' wardroom on my destroyer. The keel of that destroyer was laid in November 1944, and it was launched in February 1945 - and did its shakedown cruise in the west Pacific, during the final battles of WWII.  Today just brought all that full circle, and it got to me.

It got to me then, and it still does. The current generation of know-nothing occupiers, demanding to feed from the governmental teat, disgusts me. But I have a feeling they're going to learn soon that the world neither cares about nor remembers them - and far too many in government have the same mindset. Our enemies neither slumber nor sleep, and will be delivering yet another wake-up call ... IF we don't stop them first.


REMEMBER. And please learn what history has to teach, or it will happen again.

7 comments:

Matt said...

Thanks for sharing.

DR said...

Thank you for sharing this story with us.

Old NFO said...

Thanks! And as North said, there sure does seem to be a lot of 'dust' at Pearl...

Flier389 said...

Thank you for sharing.

Guffaw in AZ said...

'know-nothing occupiers'.
Says it all.
Thank you.

ProudHillbilly said...

Thank you. Except I had made it almost all day without tearing up until I read this.

Anonymous said...

Amen!


Dana