12 February 2009

Thursday in the A.M.

Where to begin ... where to begin ...

Volcano: 2009-02-12 04:54:26
Redoubt Volcano has not erupted. Elevated seismicity is continuing, dominated by ongoing volcanic tremor and occasional small earthquakes. (Alaska Volcano Observatory report here.)

National news: There was a story I saw two days ago which stated that the Mexican drug cartel which has been shooting up northern Mexico near the Texas border has established itself in three American cities: Atlanta, Boston, and Anchorage. Wonderful news. Our streets, which have been safer in the last year, suddenly became much more dangerous. However, unlike those other more "civilised" cities, Alaskans are allowed to carry concealed ... and many of us do. Perhaps elsewhere would be a better choice.

Local news: There's not much "local" going on this morning. The mayor of Barrow, Alaska has resigned amid charges of running up personal expenses on a city-owned credit card. Barrow is 600+ miles north of Anchorage.

Opinion: You may have noticed that I've not spent much time writing about the various shenanigans going on in our nation's capitol. Those things are being well-covered by columnists & bloggers much more eloquent than I. I share the indignation over Congress's recent actions, but will let others do the writing.

It's 18 degrees with light snow & a light northwesterly breeze, as I write this. The current temp is close to our normal daytime high,but it's not expected to go much higher, so we'll have as close to a "normal" day as we've experienced lately.

I apologize if this post is a little dry ... sometimes I feel inspired to touch on current events, and sometimes I don't. This is one of those "don't" days.

4 comments:

Deer Passion said...

I can't believe that darn thing hasn't erupted yet. Of course I don't want it to.. but it feels like you've been prepared for a long time now.

Rev. Paul said...

We've been on alert status for nearly 3 weeks now. If it doesn't blow, then we're ready for the next one!

joated said...

Redoubt? Just plain "Doubt" would have been a better name. Sound and fury signifying nothing...so far. And that is good. (As opposed to, say, the sound and fury coming out of D.C.)

Can't blame you for not wanting to write about the stuff going on in the nation's capital. My B.P. goes up every time I start thinking about D.C.

And when I start mentally composing something to blog about, I find myself really getting irate. So I read a few more blogs and find someone else was able to put my thoughts in to written words far better than I could.

Keep your eye on the sky line, pilgrim.

Rev. Paul said...

You said it, Joated. I'm trying to concentrate on events closer to home, and let others do the "big" issues. Some of that stuff just makes my blood boil, and I'm sure I'll wind up saying something I'd regret later.