21 April 2009

Tuesday Morning Chill

The furnace pilot light had gone out overnight, so it was a mite chilly this a.m. (31 degrees at 5:15 a.m. isn't that cold). Actually, it's always chilly when I get up, because we open the bedroom window at night. Turning the thermostat from "off" to "on" addresses that issue within a few minutes, once the window is closed.

Except this morning ... when the furnace did nothing. I plugged in a small electric heater & warmed the living room while inhaling the first cup of coffee. Once my eyes were open, I grabbed a flashlight, a box of matches, some pliers (I'd like to keep the 'hairy-knuckle' look evenly distributed over both hands, thanks) and headed downstairs.

The pilot was balky, but finally lit. Now it's time to get ready for work - and I can't remember whatever it was that I intended to write about, this morning.

It'll come back to me, or not. Duty calls ... have a great one, folks!

3 comments:

Teresa said...

OMG - 31!!!!! Kill me now! I am always cold, but once the temp gets below 55 in the house I'm ready to head for a hotel. At that temp I wouldn't be able to get out of bed much less move about enough to make coffee. ROFLMAO.

Rev. Paul said...

Teresa, you're too funny. It was 31 outside, but about 58 in the bedroom, and low 60s in the rest of the place. We're used to cooler temps; it's all relative.

Having said that, "low 60s" was still a little too cool to ignore, especially upon rising.

Teresa said...

LOL - I misread and thought it was 31 in the house. That's what I get for failing reading comprehension 101...

I keep it at 65 at night in the house. My husband would be very happy to keep it lower but I just can't do it - if we really had to save money I'd consider but otherwise - no.

As it is we have a silent war over the thermostat on weekends when he's home all day. I want it at 70 he wants it at 68... we have a programmable thermostat that he overrides - I threaten to buy him a manual one instead or move to a hotel for the weekends... LOL.