31 May 2009

Monday, June the Oneth

Good morning! Our sincere thanks to all who touched base with us yesterday on our anniversary. It was a really nice day: our youngest fixed dinner for us (more on that later), and we finally got new rings for ourselves.

We'd been talking about getting new rings since shortly after our 20th, at about the same time that mine disappeared during a move. I've been wearing a plain gold band since then. My wife's rings were the best I could afford, back in 1979, which wasn't much. She's never complained, and has worn them everyday since the wedding - but I wanted her to have something truly nice.

Yesterday, I surprised her with a new wedding set, with a larger diamond than she ever thought she'd have. The look on her face was priceless. If you don't already, you married guys should try surprising your wives from time to time ... it's worth it! (Although I must admit it gets more & more difficult to surprise her, as the years go by.)

I got a nice ring for myself, too - never had diamonds before, so I figgered it's about time.

Our youngest made cinnamon bacon carbonara ("Be sure and tell them what I made, Dad!"), and white chocolate mousse with raspberry coulis for dessert.

All in all, a right pleasant day!

* * * * *

It's less than three weeks until the summer solstice, and the days are quite long now. Usable light ("civil twilight") is from 2:58 a.m. until 1:00 a.m. today. Did I mention you need room-darkening shades, here?

It's 41 degrees, and the local news is full of truly local stuff ... a house burned in Eagle River; a boat capsized on Longmere Lake near Soldotna & its operator drowned; the McGrath fire is holding steady, rather than expanding, due to cool, rainy weather ... that part is a good thing.

Gov. Palin refused, last week, to accept stimulus funds which require the adoption of a uniform energy/building code - the 587,000 square miles that make up Alaska are too diverse for a one-size-fits-all code.

This morning the TV news reports that she's refusing to consider participating in a nation-wide education standard. I need to find out what the requirements are, and what her reasoning is, before I go any farther.

Y'all be good - or at least don't get caught!

6 comments:

GUYK said...

"You married guys should try surprising your wives from time to time .."

heh, surprised mine yesterday with a nooner...but surprised me more than her!

deedee said...

new rings :) and no pictures? Us girls like pictures of shiny things! Glad you had a wonderful day.

Rev. Paul said...

Pictures, huh? Okay, stay tuned.

LUCKY said...

I just wanted to say congrats Rev on being married. To anyone who isn't married I highly reccomend it, its wonderful!! And good job on suprising the Mrs. I suprised my wife by fufilling one of her dreams of going to Circue De Solei (however you spell that). We go to in in August and I decided if I'm gonna do it I might as well do it big and I got 2nd row center seats. Needless to say she was very excited and suprised. We'll see if I can keep it up for as long as you Rev.

Rev. Paul said...

Thanks, Lucky - and it's nice when you can do something unexpected for a loved one, isn't it? Fun, too.

Teresa said...

You'd have to tell my husband about that surprise thing - but wait until his spring allergies aren't driving him nuts. LOL.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Gov Palin knows what she's doing on the education standard.