12 May 2009

Random Wednesday

Just some odds and ends, this morning ...

It's 37 degrees, about normal for this point in May. I had to close the windows a bit, when I got up. It was great for sleeping, but a little cool for walking around barefoot. AccuHunch Weather is guessing we'll get back into the mid-60s again today, though, so we're all enjoying the heck out of the summer weather.


* * * * *

The gray whales have returned to Alaska, and we've been promising ourselves we'd go on a whale-watching cruise this year. I guess I need to book some tickets!

Joated would be interested to note that the sandhill cranes (6-foot wingspan) have also returned for the summer. They're the largest game birds in the state.

* * * * *

Here's a picture, taken yesterday afternoon, from the roof of my building. This is without zoom; yes, we're that close to the mountains (about 3 miles, at this location).








(click to enlargify)
.
* * * * *

I've mentioned, in the most recent couple of posts, that various "you-mean-that-bear-isn't-a-park-attraction?" folks have been fussing about the presence of wild critters in the 'hood. The city's resident bear expert, from the Dept. of Wildlife, says he's not going to change his tactics. If a bear is overly aggressive or otherwise poses a danger, he'll change its stance from vertical to horizontal, whereupon it will assume ambient temperature.

If it behaves, he'll either leave it alone, or trank it & move it to another location.

* * * * *

That's all there is for now ... I'm sure there will be more, later!

8 comments:

upinak said...

Well Rev. Ramras is being a total doink again!

http://asthefireweedturns.blogspot.com/2009/05/pds-jay-ramras-and-just-plain-stupidity.html

Why do people elcted people like this?

Rev. Paul said...

You've seen his TV commercials - he just loves being the center of attention.

Why do people vote for him? I wish I had a good answer for that.

Rev. Paul said...

Up: my apology to you - I was looking at your most recent comment & deleted it by accident.

And I do understand your remarks; somewhere around 60% of Anchorage residents are from Outside, so there's a strong contingent of liberal whiners & the "gimme gimme" mentality here. Fortunately, common sense still prevails most of the time.

LUCKY said...

Hey Rev. Paul,

The Old Jarhead posted this Video on his blog. I thought it was great and just wanted to pass it on to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhhkF3dqXR0

Rev. Paul said...

Thanks, Lucky. I saw it; it's great!

J.R.Shirley said...

Game birds- do you mean the cranes are edible?!

upinak said...

Paul no worries... I seem to be all over the palce as of late.

Yep, liberals abound up here. I have been here since a wee lass and talking to people has become almost unbareable. Being in the oil industry is even worse as it seems all that has been brought up for the last 8 years has been outsiders. I was in an arguement concerning fields up here with a liberal OIL workers. Will wonders never stop amazing me...

If there is going to be an oil bust, like the 80's, I have a good idea that Alaska is going to empty out around 200K people. What do you think?

Rev. Paul said...

Up, I agree that a lot of people from Outside would leave. I won't predict how many, but sometimes I think that might not be such a bad thing.

We won't be among them. I've only been here for eight years, including two on Adak, but my family and I are here to stay. We didn't come for the PFD; we're here because we feel called to this place, and for the freedom.