22 June 2009

Lunchtime Fun

We had another earthquake at 11:28 this morning. Most of Anchorage rocked and rolled for a bit; the U.S.G.S. is reporting a 5.4 magnitude tremor, centered about 53 miles northwest of town. That's a little bit stronger than our average 'quakes, but not absurdly so.

UPDATE: Some parts of town barely felt the 'quake; others were jolted hard enough that people were scooted out of chairs. Anchorage is situated on overlapping strata of clay, rock, and compacted peat* which, in turn, relay the temblors in different ways - or not at all.


* Compacted Peat would be a good name for a high school garage band. Also Overlapping Strata. But I digress.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Yeehaw! Again! Again! :)

Rev. Paul said...

Wasn't that fun? I was facing north, so got to rock back & forth. My wife faces west, and got scooted right off her chair.

The best part was the ongoing struggle to classify it. It was a 5.2. No, a 5.7! You're both wrong; it was 5.3. Wait, no ...

upinak said...

Sad part is I didn't feel a freaking thing.. but everyone RAN out of the building!

Rev. Paul said...

The girl in the coffee shop next to my office felt & heard nothing. The entire building was swaying, and the cabinet doors in my room were banging open & shut. I can't imagine that bottles weren't also clanking together in the coffee shop. But she said she didn't notice.