01 July 2009

Happy Hump Day

UPDATE: there's a black bear rooting in someone's trash at Elmore & 68th; traffic is backed up as drivers are trying to turn around & avoid the intersection. Local readers, go a different way, 'kay? We now return you to our regular post, already in progress.

Happy July the Oneth! It's 49 and sunny this morning, with mostly blue skies (the other parts are chartreuse? whatever) ... okay, mostly clear skies. We had a fan in the window, blowing in, last night as it was stuffy.

This morning it wasn't stuffy anymore. What it was was 57 degrees.

My internal thermostat, which usually keeps me roast-toasty, seems to be on the fritz - meaning I have very little body heat this a.m. Two large cups of coffee woke me up, but didn't seem to provide any warming effect. I'm hoping breakfast will do that, once my sluggish metabolism starts processing the cottage cheese-and-mango. (Tastes great; less filling!)

I know it's Wednesday, but my brain keeps trying to convince me otherwise. Since Friday will be a day off, I suppose it is Thursday, in a sense ... at least in the sense that I'm confused & thinking it's not Wednesday.

I'm sure the day will be chock full of fun, excitement and adventure. Or not. Anchorage's new mayor will be sworn in, this afternoon. The acting mayor reverts to his old seat on the Assembly, with much ado and whining on his part. He just doesn't know what it will be like to go back to an Assembly seat after having been Mayor for six months ... waah. He's welcome to step down & go home, and spare us the drama.

The city is distributing bear-resistant dumpsters and trash cans to areas around the parks & streams in town, as our furry friends have been dumpster-diving more than usual, this year. Some tenants in the building where I work saw a blackie doing just that, a couple of weeks ago. They waited until he or she was in the dumpster, and then they scooted out to their cars in a hurry.

We posted signs by the elevators & exits, cautioning people to be watchful in the parking lot, but Blackie hasn't been seen again.

Such is life in the big city. That's all I have for now - keep yer nose to th' wind, and yer powder dry!

5 comments:

Cassie said...

Actually turned on the boob-tube this early a.m. and there was a blurb on Mt. Redoubt!! First I have ever seen on the news!

Hey, thx for letting me use a moose on my blog. haha. I love those awkward creatures.

In the process of trying to book Patrick a room for the night in Spokane (gets in too late and I can't drive at night). Gotta go. More later. Happy HumpDay!!

Rev. Paul said...

Yes, the scientists have decided that Mt. Redoubt is quieting down ... or not. Re: the moose, they're fun to watch. Very dumb creatures (dumber than cows, according to those who claim to know) but fun. Wait 'til you see them playing in traffic!

upinak said...

Redoubt at yellow.

I have bets going on the "Blow"!

Anyone want to join?

Rev. Paul said...

Since the vulcanologists (fancy name, that) have come down firmly on BOTH sides of the fence - thereby admitting that they have NO IDEA what's going to happen next - I'll sit this one out.

Another large eruption would not really be a surprise, would it?

upinak said...

Well looking at the seismic on it, they put it back and yellow and it starts going up again.

Murphy really loves playing devil's advocate!