25 July 2009

Post Number 600 - and a New Toy

There used to be a poster which featured two buzzards sitting on a dead tree, in the middle of a barren place. One looked at the other and said, "The heck with waiting. I'm gonna kill something."

Along that same line, I decided I'd waited long enough, and went with older daughter in tow to the big-box sporting goods store up the road. That gave me something to write about!

I drooled a bit over the tacticool black rifles; there were AR-15s galore. They had also received their first large shipment of ammo on Monday, and although it was well picked-over by last night, there were still choices available. Kinda nice after several months of drought.

I settled on a practical everyday choice: a scoped Weatherby Vanguard in .270 Winchester, with blued barrel and synthetic stock.

Knowing that a rifle without ammo is a fancy club, I also bought two boxes of the only .270 Win. ammo they had available. Unfortunately, it was Winchester Supreme, which is rather spendy at $2.10 per round. Not doing that again - it's cheaper on-line. I can get Prvi Partizan at $.82/round, even with shipping from Georgia.

It may not have the biggest "ooh, ahh" factor, but it will be a nice bit of shooty goodness to play with at the range, tomorrow.

.45 ACP is still not available anywhere I looked yesterday, but I have sufficient quantities on hand for another bout of shooting to be enjoyable.

* * * * *

Regarding my six hundredth post: over the last several months, I've deleted 50 or 60 of my early rants, mostly about my previous job. I passed number 600 some time ago, but this one makes the 600th of what's still in the archives. So there.

Have a great weekend, folks. Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

The Farmer said...

AR-15 are nice, but when push comes to shove, practical beats tactical any day. Nice choice in rifle and caliber. they will not disappoint.

Casey said...

I've head some good things about the .270, but have never handled one myself. How effective is it on big game up there? Seeing as how your 'big game' is substantially bigger than 'big game' here, way down south.

Casey

Rev. Paul said...

Casey, it's considered adequate for anything up to black bear. If you know what you're doing & have excellent shot placement, you can take larger animals. Most local hunters recommend something starting with a 3 for bear & moose.

tooldieguy said...

Congrats on the new rifle! Let us know how it shoots.

joated said...

Heh, each of us stimulates the economy in our own way. Enjoy your .270.

deedee said...

Woohoo 600 posts! I delete posts, too. I'd be hitting my 500 soon - it's not the number of posts that make our blogs, it's what we want to share posts.