22 September 2009

Tuesday Afternoon















It got a little warmer than they thought: it's 49 now, but we've had a stiff southerly breeze blowing all day. AccuHunch still believes we'll reach the mid-30s overnight, but they took the precip out of the forecast.

However, it has also been snowing in the mountains all day, from about the treeline (1500 feet) and up. I can see snow-covered peaks from my window as I type this, although the sun is shining brightly from the western sky.

Unfortunately, not enough leaves have fallen for me to be able to get the camera to see them. I need to find the instruction booklet & see if there's a way to adjust the depth of field. Otherwise, the silly machine keeps focusing on the tree eight feet away, instead of looking through it.

The first photo is one I took from the kitchen window, as the setting sun was highlighting the treetops with a reddish glow.

I found a couple more pics from the newspaper, which I post here for your viewing pleasure. The second photo was taken on the 19th, and the lower one was shot this morning, near where I work.

3 comments:

Meadow said...

Beautiful aurora pix, Rev. Paul!

It won't be long and we'll see the Northern Lights in the velvet black of night :)

One hour ago, 5:30pm AKDT, pilot report...

Heavy snow at 1000 feet
Ceiling at 200 feet from Chickaloon Pass to Kings Mountain.

Pilot had dropped down to fly the Matanuska River in order to get out of the muck.

This morning the mountains to the North of me and East of Palmer were covered down to at least the 1000 foot level.

Roads this morning were wet, with roadside thermometers showing a range of 41 to 36 degrees, from home to the courthouse in Palmer.

The Farmer said...

Great pics. Froze last night. Down to 31 degrees. That was Tuesday morning. It was 96 degrees on Saturday with the low at 65 degrees.

DR said...

You know I am strictly against your discrimination against moose in the header;-) But, that is a gorgeous picture as are the others in this post. Such beauty and majesty in the great scenery of Alaska.