24 October 2009

Weekend at the Range, Part 2

My daughter's little S&W 442 pistol has a surprising little kick, due to its light-weight alloy construction (15 oz.). Nevertheless, my daughter was able, after a few shots, to put all her hits inside an 8" circle at 7 yards. I assured her that's good enough to (ahem) discourage an attacker, although she's welcome to keep working at improvement.

She put nearly 50 rounds through it, and I sent a few downrange as well. Her pistol is small enough that it feels like I'm palming the thing.

I also put 50 rounds through my 1911. It's the first time shooting it since I added the Hogue grips. An adjustment was needed, as the wider stock was pushing my first shots low and to the right. After compensating, 95% of my shots stayed in the center, which is gratifying.

* * * * *

The skies have been mostly clear today, and although it's still 46 degrees, the winds have the chill around 30. The weatherman says we're to get a rain/snow mix tonight, with highs in the 30s tomorrow. Maybe we'll get some snow soon.

Here's a webcam shot of mid-town again. Note the snow in the mountains, soon to be even closer.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Steven M Nielson said...

I spent last weekend taking my Glock 32 for her first walk... great .357 Sig round, flat trajectory and accurate right out of the box. My father and I put about 30 rounds through it and a number of other caliber pistols (revolvers and semi) to enjoy some bonding time.

Glad to see that we're not alone :)

Cassie said...

I'd like to get a little pistol too. Is this one you would recommend? It's pouring rain here at about 34degrees today.

Rev. Paul said...

Steven, you're among friends here. :^)

Cassie, there are several choices; the one she has is a 5-shot revolver. We bought it new for $490. However, you can get a Kel-tec P3AT for $225 or so; it's a 6-shot semi-auto.

Either one will require practice; neither would be much fun for extended practice sessions, unless you also buy some padded shooting gloves. Either, however, beats the heck out of being empty-handed.