16 December 2009

Hump Day Hurt

In 1974, in the Navy & stationed overseas, I managed to break three vertebrae in my lower back. I'm a life member of the Disabled American Veterans, but manage to go about my life with hardly an issue, most of the time.

Every once in awhile, I manage to do something that puts me down ... like this morning, carrying laundry down the stairs. As I reached the bottom stair, something internal suddenly gave way, and I just barely avoided falling as my knees buckled. I had to crawl back upstairs (embarassing!) and can sit, after a fashion, but can't stand or walk.

I was going to mention the snowstorm that's dumping multiple feet of snow in areas to the east and south of us, with some coming here today & tonight. But what the heck: it's December in Alaska, and no one is going to be surprised by a snowstorm.

So have a great day, & I'll try to come up with something more entertaining after the Celebrex kicks in.

2 comments:

Meadow said...

OUCH!

After scooping 5 inches yesterday, and 3 inches this morning, I'm of a mind to ask the bearded guy for a snow blower! The only saving grace is that the snow is light as a feather, but if I don't keep it off the deck, the -10 (or so) temps predicted will make a skating rink and I don't intentionally skate!

I hope your back recovers soon, Rev. Paul.

joated said...

Jeez! Having had two surgeries between the L3 and L5 vertebrae, I can empathize as well as sympathize with you.

Hope you feel beter soon.