21 December 2009

I Don't Know Exactly Why

but I haven't been particularly motivated (with only a couple of exceptions) to write about any particular topic. Nothing seems inspiring, lately.

The national political scene leaves me affronted, annoyed, antagonized, bitter, chafed, choleric, convulsed, cross, displeased, enraged, exacerbated, exasperated, ferocious, fierce, fiery, fuming, furious, galled, heated, hot, ill-tempered, impassioned, incensed, indignant, inflamed, infuriated, irascible, irate, irritable, irritated, maddened, offended, outraged, provoked, resentful, riled, sore, splenetic, storming, sulky, sullen, tumultuous, uptight, vexed ... and lots of other synonyms. But you probably know the feeling.

The patent tripe being spewed by the Decepticons in Congress is maddening, because it's so transparent. On the one hand, I'm glad that the maneuvering of the Chicago White House mob is so obvious. On the other, I'm
dumbfounded that more people can't see it. One must think they've been captured by a spirit of enchantment.

One of the things that upsets me most is that there are so many liberal lefties & enviro/greenie-weenies in the Anchorage area. I can't imagine why they came up here in the first place ... unless it was precisely because Alaskans have been so stubbornly independent. We used to take pride in our ability to make do, get by, and survive.

I fear that spirit is nearly gone from the Anchorage area. There are too many big-box stores, and even things which were in short supply just a half-dozen years ago are now relatively easy to find. Life in the biggest city in Alaska has become too comfortable. Recently-transplanted people, now making up about half of the population, are likewise from larger cities (Seattle, Portland, and - Heaven help us - places in Kalifornistan).

If the economy truly goes tango uniform and crashes as some predict (up to & including the possible demonetization of the dollar) a lot of these "transplants" may bail and go back to warmer climes. They'd be happier there, anyway. I'm sick & tired of hearing them complain about the snow.

Hey, you! Enviroweenie globular-warming activist! Yeah, you. I thought the earth was burning up ... so why spend all this energy kvetching about the snow? What - we aren't melting fast enough for you?

Tough.

If Alaska returns to its pre-pipeline status as a sleepy backwater of civilisation, then so be it. The ones who remain will be those who are okay with that. Here we are, and here we'll stay.


Okay, so maybe I do have a topic that makes me want to write ...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I surely won't be going anywhere! A lot of us miss the old Alaska.

Anonymous said...

Why on God's Earth would anyone move to Alaska and then complain about snow? What? Don't they know it snows there? They are dumber then the snow they are standing on!! Maybe the are hopenchanging Obama will fix it!!

joated said...

"One must think they've been captured by a spirit of enchantment." It's called "glamour" and the evil ones use it all the time.

DR said...

I know exactly how you feel. I have seen, for years, people moving into Dixie and then complaining about our Southern culture. In most cases they moved because they were fleeing the liberal policies of the North only to vote in liberal politicians in the South; it boggles the mind.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Meadow said...

I'm not a native of Alaska, but I have adopted and embraced the Alaskan mindset. I fully intend to die up here, and if circumstances beyond my control force me to move, my demise will be sooner than later as I can't imagine life without all that IS Alaska.

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)