27 April 2010

It was sunny today,

until I got off from work. I've been home for a half-hour, and the skies are clouding up again. Fortunately, it's a high overcast, and still bright.

∙ There were no office follies to report today, darn it. Those are often blog-worthy, when I can remove enough information from them to keep the culprit from being readily identifiable. The closest we came today was a lady who insists that the lights above her desk (standard fluorescent fixture) are too bright. She asks the daytime janitor to remove half of the bulbs. Then the night-time crew comes along & puts new bulbs in, because the fixture is too dark. Tomorrow, it would begin again.

I talked to the daytime guy today about how to communicate the worker's desire to achieve mushroom status, so that we can avoid the whole "lather, rinse, repeat" cycle in the future.

∙ Tomorrow's demonstration/protest against the University's on-campus firearms prohibition made at least one radio station's local news cycle, today. The morning talk-show guy on one AM station mentioned it. There's another Alaska blogger who thinks the protest is premature. He went on at some length about how a lawsuit needs to be brought, first.

I'm sorry to contradict the fellow, but the point was made at last Saturday's meeting that one cannot bring suit unless one has "standing" to do so. A member of the general public cannot do so, because he or she hasn't been harmed by the policy. The guy who is the primary objector IS being harmed by it, because he's a student there. But he must make his carry known to the PTB, and then be ordered off campus. THEN he can bring a suit.

∙ This won't mean much to anyone outside of the general Anchorage area, but Marathon Oil has signed a contract with the local suppliers of natural gas & electricity (Enstar & Chugach Electric Co-op). This will make natural gas supplies sufficient for the next two years, and will help well into 2013. That's when it is hoped that some new facilities will be completed, so that excess natural gas can be stored during the warmer months, for meeting high-demand periods in the winters.

That's about all I've got for now. DR, I haven't forgotten your request that I write about more Navy experiences. D & S, you two have told me you like it when I rant about politics.

I'll keep it in mind. (g)

1 comment:

DR said...

We were sunny, but cold and windy all day. Unfortunately, the grass is still growing though.

I look forward to more military stories, but I generally enjoy everything you write about. Reading your blog really helped me take my mind off things today. It is nice to know that there are still freedom loving, independent thinking individuals out there.