26 May 2010

Mid-week Odds & Ends


It's a GORGEOUS day in Anchorage - 65 degrees, blue skies, sunshine, and a light breeze - perfect! I wish I could share it with you, but this picture will have to do.

* * * * *

My wife reminded me last night that it's been awhile since her car's oil was changed. Actually, it was on Aug. 19 last year ... but in that time, it's only been driven 4300 miles.

I like this working-close-to-home stuff.

* * * * *

I've had the opportunity to get reacquainted with an old college friend, this week. To be precise, we haven't seen each other since 1974. I think that qualifies as officially "out of touch." Although I was initially reluctant to use Facebook, I finally surrendered to several folks' urgings so that I could re-establish contact with members of the ministry team with whom I once worked, back in St. James, Missouri.

Jerry came across my name more-or-less by accident, and we've had some delightful on-line chats since then. We won't go into how young I was, back then, nor how thin. Actually, after looking at the photos Jerry forwarded, I looked anorexic. I ate like a madman in those days, and couldn't gain an ounce.

I've made up for it since, so no one needs to feel sorry for the poor, thin waif I used to be ... sigh.

* * * * *

There's been an oil spill at a pumping station near Delta Junction, Alaska - that's not too far from Fairbanks. I suspect it's made the national news by now, but it's a limited spill into a containment area specifically designed to catch & detain spills - no environmental damage at all. Here's a pic from the local paper, showing the site. Regardless of how the news makes it sound, you can see the pool of oil isn't that large.


* * * * *

Some dingbat called the APD this morning, stating that they "had killed some family members and said they were going to kill more", downtown. There was apparently, shall we say, an enthusiastic response by the local gendarmes. If the newspaper says it was "a big response", then you know all the black suits & riot gear were on display. Read the rest here, if you like.

No comments: