06 September 2010

Twenty-Five Years Ago

I belonged to a club of "historical reenactors" which began as the
Terre d'Osage Courier des Bois,but quickly morphed into
a group of early 1800s mountain men/trappers.

This hobby, by the way, is what got me started in black powder firearms.
My first was a CVA Mountain Rifle in .45 ... but one is NEVER enough!

Evening entertainment consisted of acoustic instruments
such as the hammer dulcimer and guitars.
We'd gather around a central campfire & sing songs until late into the night.

Many eked out a meager income by selling supplies which otherwise had to be
home-made or mail-order, such as beeswax candles, staghorn buttons, flints,
candle lanterns, and sometimes shirts and moccasins.
I made custom moccasin boots for a time, and did pretty well at it.

Most of us stayed in tipis, wickiups, or lean-tos.

About half of the club members appear in this photo; I'm the one in the red shirt.
Happily, Star Trek rules didn't apply.

Another shot of my remarkably hairy face, at a winter camp.

7 comments:

joated said...

"Evening entertainment consisted of acoustic instruments
such as the hammer dulcimer and guitars.
We'd gather around a central campfire & sing songs until late into the night."

Dang! You were a historical hippie!

My first rifle was made from a kit: A .54 Hawken that kicked like a mule because I didn't know better and was over loading the SOB with 110 grains FFF of powder. Essentially a hand held pipe bomb!

The Farmer said...

Now thats cool.

Jenny said...

Oh fun!!

Love the pictures. :)

Cassie said...

Looks like you all had a lot of fun with that. Ever thought of growing that mop of hair back on your face?? Bet it would serve you well in AK.

Rev. Paul said...

Cassie, I first grew a beard back in '75, when I was posted to Adak (Aleutian Islands for those who don't know). I kept it for nearly 20 years, with a couple of brief periods when I wanted to see what my chin looked like.

I shaved it off in '94, when a significant portion had turned white. These days, it's almost entirely white, so I probably won't grow it back.

joated said...

"I shaved it off in '94, when a significant portion had turned white. These days, it's almost entirely white, so I probably won't grow it back."

Hey! You got a problem with white beards? ;-)

Rev. Paul said...

Joated,

Not at all, except on me. :^)