24 September 2010

Well, THAT Was Fun

Anchorage, along with most of south-central Alaska, is experiencing very high winds. Around 12:45, there was a wide-spread power outage as lines (apparently) blew down in several locations.


Doctors in the medical office building that I manage had a half-dozen people in surgery at the time. The generator kicked on as designed, and provided complete power to the entire sterile core. The rest of the building doesn't fare as well in an outage; the security (night-time) lights stay on, but nothing else.

Since my office is an interior space, it goes dark. I shut off the computer (while the UPS beeped its brains out to let me know the power was off*), grabbed my trusty Maglite and made sure everybody was okay, while my cellphone rang nonstop, with tenants wanting info ... which I didn't have.

It took me about 30 minutes to get through to the power company, which had a) no idea what the cause was but said to "assume it's wind damage somewhere", and b) therefore didn't know when the repairs would be made.

Naturally, the lights came on while I was calling the O.R. charge nurse to let him know they'd be out for awhile. For something like that, I'm happy to be wrong.

Have a great Friday!


* Whose idea was that, anyway?

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I had to laugh at people calling you immediately to find out why their power was out. That's too funny. Glad it was short and very glad the generator kicked in as expectted for the OR!