23 October 2010

Heading Home

I'm out on an early flight this morning, and already up at omigosh-thirty. I used to like flying, but that was years ago when passengers were treated ... well, better than they are today. Like adults, rather than a cattle call with uniformed wranglers intoning, "Moooooove along."

I never flew before the age of 18; it had always seemed to me that flying was only for the well-to-do, the movers and shakers, and movie stars. The idea of regular folks getting on a plane was fantastical ... at least to me. But once I enlisted in the Navy, that all changed.

Flying seemed glamorous to me, back then. The seats were larger (although I was admittedly thinner). These days, it's less an event, and more a process to be endured. Nevertheless, there are times when getting from Point A to Point B requires something faster than an automobile. Since I didn't have 14 extra days available for a round-trip drive ... airplanes it is.

So, we're leaving for the airport soon; my hosts have been exceptionally gracious in accommodating my schedule. D & S, you guys are the best. I hope I can return the favor someday soon.

And now, it's time for that last-minute check to make sure I've had my shots, got my ear tag updated, and bell firmly fastened on collar.  Sigh.

p.s.  I will be posting soon about a wonderful li'l toy I was shown. It involves the number 32, the letters S & W, and has a wheel AND an octagonal barrel.

1 comment:

PolyKahr said...

Rev. Paul,

You sound just like me. No, really, your description of flying then and now sounds exactly like my own. The seats ARE too small, and the security theater has become demeaning and intrusive. I avoid flying at all costs.

Hoping for a safe return,
PolyKahr