03 October 2010

A Meeting of the Minds

Jenny & I met today for our every-other-weekend discussion of historical lore. We have been absorbing as much of the Federalist & Anti-Federalist Papers as possible, and met to talk over our impressions. Turns out, we're pretty much on the same page ... and that I also feel about Alexander Hamilton the way Glenn Beck does about Woodrow Wilson*. Heh.

A couple of other folks were supposed to meet us, but wires got crossed; we'll try again on Wednesday.

Our topic for the next meeting, in two weeks, is slightly removed from the Founders, but related in the whole Federalist vs. Republican gestalt:  Andrew Jackson.  I blame it on A.D.D. (mine).



* I'm no fan of Wilson, either, but let's stick to the topic, shall we? My attention span is already short enough. 
Oh, look - a moose!

3 comments:

George said...

I remember visiting Montecello. Jefferson has 3 portraits in the entrance: John Locke, Francis Bacon, and Issac Newton (If I remember correctly).
Alexander Hamilton visited, and asked of Jefferson, "Who are they?" Jefferson replied, "The three greatest men who ever lived." Hamilton's response said it all, "I thought Julius Caesar was the greatest man who ever lived."

Rev. Paul said...

George, you're right - no further words needed.

Anonymous, I do sometimes exchange links, but I have no idea who you are or what your site is about, so probably not.

DR said...

I could not agree with you more. The more I learn about the founding fathers the less I can stand Hamilton. Almost every bad comprimise our founding fathers made was to accomodate Hamilton and it led to the vague language that has allowed our government to expand to almost unimaginable heights. I once was reading about an army he was building; some believe had he not died early in a duel that he could have become a dictator.