20 November 2010

Saturday A.M.

When I arose today, it was 7 degrees and foggy = "freezing fog" =  frost on everything = slick roads, etc. The temp has rocketed - rocketed, I say - up to 15 now, but the fog is thicker. Not really an improvement.

We've noticed more difficulty getting our heads wrapped around our return to Alaska from Hawaii, than from any previous vacation. Others who have been there tell us this is normal. Maybe. I wasn't really back into my routine until yesterday, and am still quite glad it's the weekend. It'll be nice to be back on my game when Monday rolls around.

One tragic note: the Air Force says that Capt. Jeff Haney died in Tuesday's F-22 crash outside of Cantwell, Alaska. R.I.P., Captain; our nation is poorer for your loss.

By the way, AccuHunch is guessing we'll have snow on Monday & Tuesday. It's normal to get snow for Thanksgiving week, so that's okay with us.

I haven't even looked at the news this morning, and find I don't really want to. So we're off to brave the wilds of Wally World & a couple of big box stores before the Reavers descend. Wish us luck.

2 comments:

DR said...

I don't know how you survived going from Alaska to Hawaii. Living where we do I have noticed I can't stand the heat anymore. It gets up to 60 and I am in shorts and a T-shirt. It gets up to 70 plus and I can't move. The North has a way of changing you.

Rev. Paul said...

DR, we wear shorts & t-shirts at 50; Hawaii was a struggle for all of us. I battled the conditions until the 3rd day when I finally got more-or-less used to it. Wanting to deal with it was half the battle; I still tended to retreat indoors during the noon-to-three p.m. period, the hottest portion of the day.

The biggest factor, though, is the trade winds which blow steadily in the afternoons, taking the 'sting' out of the heat. As long as the wind blew, it was great.