23 March 2011

A Bit Overwhelming

... events of the last week: a prominent physician died from a tragic skiing accident, two gentlemen were caught in an avalanche and only one survived, and four (I think; I've lost count) have been killed in snowmachine* accidents. Meanwhile, a friend has just been served with divorce papers from her husband of 18 years, another's Significant Other faces a second tour in the sandbox, yet another's U.S. Army grandson has been ordered to Japan to help with humanitarian aid, and the list goes on and on.

There's an old saying that the Lord never burdens us with more than we can bear, but - as an old Scottish professor once said - "I sometimes wish He nae had such a high opinion of me."

It is true that His strength is made perfect in our weakness, but occasionally ... well, like another old saying goes, "When you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember your original purpose was to drain the swamp."

Cheers anyway!




* Y'all call 'em snowmobiles.

2 comments:

North said...

That is an excellent post - I really like that it took me emotionally in different directions.

Teresa said...

It's hard to remember in the middle of it all that "this too shall pass" and happiness will be back on top again. *sigh* It's been a particularly bad winter for bad things. I am hoping the world around us improves greatly with the advent of Spring.