01 August 2011

Chef Sam: "Intermediate" Culinary Camp

Younger daughter Samantha started the intermediate stage of the "Culinary Boot Camp" at the University of Alaska (Anchorage) today.

She made pancakes from scratch, with maple syrup flown in from Pennsylvania (hear that, Joated?) and few chunks of banana, just for fun; French omelets*; and in the afternoon, all the chefs-in-training made their choice of either broccoli or cauliflower soup (a puree garnished with chunks of the toasted veggie on top). She was apparently the only one who chose cauliflower.

I have to admit that it didn't sound very appealing to me, but I was a good dad and took a healthy bite ... and promptly apologized to her. It was delicious!

Pictures will be forthcoming.



* The "french" descriptor has to do with the way they're prepared, rather than the ingredients. I'm not a cook, so who knew?

3 comments:

joated said...

I'm assuming the syrup I brought you is long gone!

I've had cauliflower soup...it is surprisingly good when done correctly.

Sounds like Sam's found an outlet for her creativity and skills.

Careful, Dad. You're going to have to add a few more laps on your walking/jogging regimen if you want to keep that 36" waist!

TJIC said...

> Younger daughter Samantha started the intermediate stage of the "Culinary Boot Camp" at the University of Alaska (Anchorage) today.

Awesome!

> maple syrup flown in from Pennsylvania

J and I were in Vermont recently. Along the way we had a maple-syrup-soda.

Never heard of such a thing before, but OMG!

Hint: do NOT try to add a tablespoon of maple syrup to your next glass of Coke - you'll never go back!

ProudHillbilly said...

Drool.