I met with Jenny S. over coffee & snacks today. The conversation was as interesting and wide-ranging as always.
Some of the topics discussed were:
a) the Appleseed shoot she recently attended
b) marksmanship & common shooting errors
c) scopes vs. open sights
d) Paul Revere's Ride
e) Events prior to Lexington & Concord in the 1770s
f) Albion's Seed
g) Harry Turtledove's alternative histories
h) books by bloggers
i) PTSD
j) military training & firearms to which I was exposed while on active duty
k) apparent or "felt" recoil in various rifle calibers
l) the zombie apocalypse vs. real societal breakdown
m) prepping for the above
n) the relative value(s) of trained warriors/veterans in society
o) the militarization of law enforcement
Let's just say it was a lively two hours, shall we? But that's why we do this, every so often. You never know what's going to come up!
p.s. And yes, per Jenny's comment below - all y'all are welcome to join us. Just e-mail; my addy is on my profile.
10 comments:
And if it sounds fun and you're in Anchorage and want to join us... give a shout. :)
I am in San Diego, so no meet-up for me. But I would be interested in your thoughts on recoil. Are we talking 20 gauge vs. 12 gauge?
What Turtledove books do you like?
NavyOne - we talked about rifle calibers, and 'felt' recoil from .30-30 vs. .30-06, M-14 vs. M-1, and how heavier weapons (rifles & handguns) tend to 'soak up' recoil vs. synthetic stocks etc which lighten the weapon but pass more recoil to the user.
Lucky - I mentioned having read a couple of his books, and Jenny had also read some, but neither of us read many of those. Agent of Byzantium comes to mind, and there was one about an armored cav unit ('Nam era) which wound up in the war between the states IIRC.
I would have loved to have taken part in that conversation.
@Jenny:
> And if it sounds fun and you're in Anchorage and want to join us... give a shout.
Pfft! How likely is that?
@TJIC: since you've done it twice already, I'd say ... more likely than not. (/smirk)
Specifically on the Turtledove books - I had started the "South won/alternate timeline" series he did, but gave it up before I was more than a hair into book two. Bloody, sad, depressing, and frightfully plausible. :(
TJIC - can't wait!
Lucky, Stephen, Navy- the door's always open. :)
> since you've done it twice already,
Ah, there goes my attempt at dry/understated humor.
...just as well. Dry and understated aren't really my forte. ;-)
@ Rev, rgr all. Interesting point on the stocks.
@ Jenny, Thanks!
I am in love with Alaska. All the great shows: Mounted in Alaska, Flying Wild Alaska, etc. (Great, I am gushing!)
Post a Comment