14 January 2012

Randomosity

It's -11 this morning, with a wind chill of -20. I had been toying with the idea of a range trip, but after looking at the thermometer, I'm not feelin' it.

* * * * *

Like many, I greatly enjoy a cup of coffee ... okay, two cups ... in the morning. But more and more, I observe that if I need a cup of coffee to wake up, then I'm probably up too soon.

* * * * *

We have long noticed there are many here who begin an annual whine-fest every October: "I hate winter," "I hate the cold," "I hate snow," or some variation/combination of those. This puzzles me. Why are they here? More importantly, why haven't they gone back to whatever sunshine-y paradise they allegedly came from?

When work or love take you to a place, that's fine - go there and be happy. But if you're not happy, why hang around and inflict your obvious dislike for Alaska with the Alaskans around you? This seems not only counter-productive, but ultimately self-defeating. The more you gripe about the cold/snow/whatever, the less likely it is that we will help you dig your Prius out of the next 27" snowfall.

Everyone involved, including you yourself, will be much happier if you simply go back south.

* * * * *

The current administration of Anchorage seems to be increasingly nanny-statish, and there are distinct rumblings about the current mayor needing to go. Since his term is up this year, I suspect we'll see someone new, in a few months. It's disappointing, really, because he ran as a conservative and then he and the Assembly veered sharply to the left.

Okay, to be fair, the Assembly was already left-leaning, but Mr. Conservative hasn't done anything to correct that.

* * * * *

Okay, I'm done grumbling. Probably need more coffee. Heh.

7 comments:

Calm Gun said...

Coffee fixes a lot of mornings for me.

Guffaw in AZ said...

People whine here about the heat in the Summer.
It's Phoenix, it gets hot, get over it.
Or move! I understand!

Rev. Paul said...

Calm Gun - absolutely.

GFA - Yep. It's Alaska; what did you expect to happen?

Anonymous said...

I can't argue with these. Hope you enjoy the coffee. I am going to read your later post about the Cordova pics and see if it helped.

jh

Wolfman said...

In construction, you see the same thing. In the winter, its too cold; can't wait for spring. In spring, its too wet, can't wait for summer. Summer, too hot, can't wait for fall. Fall, its hunting season, and I don't want to work... never satisfied.

Old NFO said...

Coffee = GOOOOOOOD :-)

Murphy's Law said...

One thing I've noticed both times I was in Alaska was that almost every person that I met who hated and despised Sarah Palin enough to mention it to me was someone who had only been in Alaska themselves a short time, usually a college student or a transplant from the West Coast.