19 June 2012

Appleseed Update

Our older daughter Melanie participated in an Appleseed shoot last October, while we were away.  (Friend Jenny posted about the experience here.) She didn't achieve the score necessary for the prized "Rifleman" patch, but shot in the 180s, as I recall, which wasn't bad for her first try.

This weekend, Mel will go back for another try, hoping to qualify for the patch. I put Tech-Sights' peep sights on our .22 rifles last December, and have been pleased with the improvement in my own shooting using the upgrade.

For whatever reason, Mel hasn't been as excited about the sights, and wanted something else. She did a bit of research, talked with me about the results, her desires, and came home with a 4X Simmons rimfire scope last week. She mounted it herself, and plans a range visit on Friday to make initial adjustments in hopes of getting shots in the black. The first part of the Appleseed event on Saturday includes instruction on sighting-in, so she just wants to get things reasonably close on Friday.

I will provide an update after the weekend's fun, and let y'all know how she did.

12 comments:

drjim said...

You go, girl!

Old NFO said...

Good luck to her!

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Oops - missed that it was *next* weekend. :)

So very cool - can't wait to hear how it goes. Dry fire dry fire dry fire! :)

Keads said...

Good luck!

Duke said...

Let us know how the tech sights hold up, I like the idea and want to put peep sights on my 10-22 as well, there is a few options out at the moment.

Rev. Paul said...

Thanks, all - I'll pass your good wishes to her.

Duke, I've been using the TechSights for six months now, and they are sturdy & a GREAT improvement over the originals. The factory silver-dot front sight completely obscures a 6" target at 25 yards, but the new "pin" leaves it clearly visible. I now have fine control, where it was gross before.

Stephen said...

Good luck to her. The first Appleseeds, (which I attended)if I remember correctly,scopes were not allowed. Times sure have changed.

Rev. Paul said...

Stephen, I personally prefer iron sights, but have to admit that my eyes are not what they were. Using a scope helps see the target, but doesn't correct poor marksmanship - and I suspect that's what Appleseed is now focusing on.

Home on the Range said...

Good for her! I hope she has a wonderful time and learns much.

DR said...

Good luck!

MO Bro said...

Best of luck, of course! I do believe she'll do very well!