The skies are grey today, and it's 56, humid, without a breeze.
We went to the range as scheduled, and I should add that I hadn't had my .270 out of its case since last September, so I wasn't expecting great accuracy.
Each girl fired a shot through the .270, "just to see what it's like". One was holding it like a .22, so it bounced a bit; the other held it much more firmly, but was still surprised by recoil. (I should point out that Younger Daughter had never fired anything larger than a .22 until today; Older Daughter had, but it was several years ago.)
I've been fussing for some time about my scope; I could see the target well enough to shoot, but needed a spotting scope to see shot placement. Today I tried the fluted rim around the eyepiece one last time, in hopes that it might be a focus ring.
To my utter surprise, it let go with a soft 'pop' and allowed me - for the first time with this setup - to see the target clearly. Didn't need the spotting scope at all (yet, but that's later in the story). Hooray.
After the first few shots went all over, but mostly low, I decided that the scope must have been bumped during the winter. I cranked it up pretty high & started over.
![]() |
After a gross adjustment to the scope, I was shooting high and to the right. I started walking it back toward center; these are the five rounds between 12 and 1:00 on the target. Then, just as I was hitting above the bull's eye and ready to dial it down ...
... the reticle separated. First, the left bar let go of the cross-hair in the center, and then - a shot later - the bottom post also separated.
![]() |
| Sorry it's not clear - I was holding the rifle in my left hand & cell phone in my right, trying to overcome parallax and get the shot. |
Since I could no longer be sure where my shots were going, I packed up and moved to the rimfire range.
I've written previously about the Tech Sights "peep sights" I put on the .22. Those also needed adjustment. I got it to the point where I was getting four shots out of five into the 250-yard target on the Appleseed rifleman's target, and decided to call it a day.
It seemed the girls were having issues with their sights, too, so they decided to leave when they saw me taking down.
There's always next time.
So, Gentle Reader, I have a question: the scope which self-destructed is a Bushnell 3x-9x model. What's a good, moderately-priced adjustable scope in the 9x to 12x range? Advice?


5 comments:
What price range? I like Nikon scopes, and just put a new Buckmasters 3-9x40 on my Marlin 336 to replace the unknown brand it came with.
I think I paid about $200 for it at Cabela's.
I'm going out to the rifle range with my son on the 6th, so I'll report back how it works.
Hubby usually sticks with scopes that run around $200. He has a Bushnell Elite and a Nikon Buckmaster; both work reasonably well. One tip is to pick up the previous year's model at reduced prices when the new models come out.
Thanks, drjim.
Mrs. S - thank you, too.
Sorry for the late response, but I'd look at Leupold! They stand by their product (but they are a tad pricy)...
Old NFO: Leupold? Yes, they're pricey - but probably worth it. Thanks.
Post a Comment