15 July 2012

She Wished She Had a Gun


FAIRBANKS-- A 43-year-old professor says she fought off a grizzly bear that stalked her and her nieces by throwing everything she had at it ...

Alyson Jones-Robinson said they encountered the aggressive grizzly while hiking Thursday at Chena River State Recreation Area, east of Fairbanks. She said it wasn't especially big -- perhaps a 2- or 3-year-old that weighed between 100 and 200 pounds -- but it was not afraid of them or her dog.

~ snip ~

She said the bear charged at her several times, including once after it tried to attack her dog. That's when she smacked it in the head with her walking stick, which broke. She also attempted to distract it by throwing the package of macaroni and cheese.

~ snip ~

"All I could think about was this bear is so close to me I can see its teeth," she said. "I could have kissed it. I wished I had a gun." 

Moral of the day: don't bring mac-n-cheese to a gunfight?

6 comments:

Bob said...

I think that if I lived in Alaska I'd carry handgun even into my own bathroom with me.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Once had to face down three brownies with a chain saw. Not fun!

Home on the Range said...

I spent a summer up in a little village a hour or so flight away from Fairbanks. The husband was a bush pilot before he turned to crop dusting (that usually doesn't end well) and was working up there and I joined him for a bit. There was a young couple who lived there, almost in town, that had a Grizzley charge the Mrs. while she was headed back to tend to their dog team. She ran for the dogs, hoping for some distraction and her husband, hearing her screams, came out of the outdoor bathroom, naked with a gun, shooting the bear. Several of us made jokes about "hunting bare" but they both know how lucky they were. The bear had gangrene from a wound to the head, it was crazy with infection and pain and would not have let her get away had he not been stopped.

Mac and Cheese isn't even going to make something like that blink, and it will just use the stick to pick it's teeth with after eating you.

SiGraybeard said...

2 words: 454 Casull

Yes, there are two better words, it's just not as likely. Those two words are "belt fed".

I wonder if the professor realizes how lucky she is to be alive.

Rev. Paul said...

Bob - there are times when I've been tempted to do that myself.

WSF - wow. If they'd been close enough for you to use the saw, you'd have been lunch. Just wow.

Brigid - I've heard a few similar stories, but never from someone I know. Given the location, those folks should have known better, and were VERY lucky.

Graybeard - yes indeed.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ Rev Paul. At a construction site in SE. They were in the site before we noticed them. So glad the saw fired on the first pull. They decided they didn't like the noise and went strolling away.